The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9.3H minature gelding... His previous owners said that he is a registered Minature of somesort... of which we have no clue:cry:

Anyhow, my question is... Is there such a breed as a Miniature Appaloosa?
Or what breed do you think he is ?

Notice his hoof coloring.. he also has spots on his skin around his eye's/muzzle.

He is 4 years old(if that helps any)

--- Thanks --- :D

Attachments

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
Reactions: WickedNag

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I'm pretty sure minis come in appaloosa coloring. They are just minis sporting appaloosa coloring, not "miniature appaloosas," if that makes sense. And other than different sizes of minis, they are all just minis, generally registered with the AMHA (American Miniature Horse Association) or other similar breed registry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=app...t=mode&cd=2&ved=0CDAQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=1105
Yep - OP, check out "Crayon Box Miniatures" (it's a mini breeder)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Are you sure that he's registered? Miniature horses can only be registered if they're 36" or shorter. Your boy is 39", so unless he's a registered PONY of some sort (possibly shetland?) someone lied to you.

Otherwise, Drafty is right. There are no registeries for 'miniature paints' 'miniature appaloosas' etc, just miniature horses- and yes. They do come in appy colors. Heck, they come in the whole rainbow of horse colors!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Are you sure that he's registered? Miniature horses can only be registered if they're 36" or shorter. Your boy is 39", so unless he's a registered PONY of some sort (possibly shetland?) someone lied to you.

Otherwise, Drafty is right. There are no registeries for 'miniature paints' 'miniature appaloosas' etc, just miniature horses- and yes. They do come in appy colors. Heck, they come in the whole rainbow of horse colors!
Actually, B goes to 38, not 36 - for AMHR ---- AMHA stops at 34

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
height

Well I just kinda estimated on his height(comparing him to my Shetland)

I will measure him tonight or tomorrow and post it on here :)

I also contacted his prior owners and asked if they could look for his papers... Hope I hear back :D

Thank you for all your reply's. :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Height_2

I would like to report that I measured him and he is exactly 10H.... is he considered a miniature or a shetland?

Do they have appaloosa marking shetlands?

These are probably really stupid questions ( :oops: ) but I got to know :lol:

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
No, shetlands do not come in appaloosa coloring. He could be a mini/shetland cross, though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and just in case someone was wondering.... In the picture of him rearing with another horse(Bay) That horse is 12.1H =) Then you can get a better idea of what his size is :)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
At 10hh I can pretty much guarentee that he's neither fully miniature or fully shetland. I'd say that the minixshetland cross is a good guess. Plenty of petting zoos have 'mutt' horses.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
its true! XD go look at a few. They often have some very odd crosses! ahahaha

·
Registered
204 Posts
Where are you located? If you are in the southeast I'd say it is possible he is a Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands pony, as he is the right size and color. Unlike mustangs, they are not branded so can be hard to keep track of. There is a wild mare currently up there that reminds me of yours. Below is a picture of her with two other fillies. (I actually purchased the tri-color on the far left earlier this year:)

·
Registered
672 Posts
If he's registered, you should have gotten paperwork. If not, then they flat lied, which a lot of people do. But hey, a pony is a pony and all need their lovin's :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If he's registered, you should have gotten paperwork. If not, then they flat lied, which a lot of people do. But hey, a pony is a pony and all need their lovin's :D
We got him from a close friend of ours..so I know they didn't lie.. but they have to get papers from the people that THEY got him from, which should be this summer, since they will be at the local fair..confusing.. but I hope I get them :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where are you located? If you are in the southeast I'd say it is possible he is a Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands pony, as he is the right size and color. Unlike mustangs, they are not branded so can be hard to keep track of. There is a wild mare currently up there that reminds me of yours. Below is a picture of her with two other fillies. (I actually purchased the tri-color on the far left earlier this year:)

Located in North Dakota... those are some cool looking pony's!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where I am from USPS has a policy "if it fits it ships". If I find a box for him, would you send him my way pls? :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.