The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimal tobi TB?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Yogiwick 
#1 ·
I went out to go see this girl on sunday and thought she had interesting legs? The ermine spots to me say tobi but its the strong haloing that really sells it, it also looks like she should have had a small star on her forehead that got obscured by an ermine mark aswell. Looking back at her lines her sire is really the most white I can find in her lines beyond some small hoof white here and there. One of this guy's foals is a strong sabino and the other is questionably (based off of lineage) and he has one more filly with a seemingly blonde tail but no white.

Both colts come from a dam with stronger white in the linage, making me think that either the sire is sabino with some mild restriction that bred out on those two colts?

This filly's dam didn't have any exceptional white in the linage, as she lines back to more ire/gb lines which all seemed pretty solid coloured. I can't recall ever seeing a sabino with ermine markings, as I thought it was a hallmark of minimal tobino with a restrictive factor. I know sabino can cause haloing but its also shared with tobi, however, I didn't know tobiano was in racing thoroughbreds? Granted I know minimal tobi can express as solid coloured horses.

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't think TBs carried tobiano at all. My best friend has an Arab/QH filly who is sabino (sabino roaning on her flanks, a couple of smallish belly spots, four white socks) who has ermine spots in her socks and haloing.

Also, the filly with the blonde tail probably had a galustra plume which, as far as I know, isn't related to any of the white patterns.

#5 ·
My fully racing bred TB mare also has haloing and ermine spots on her white socks but no tobiano anything in her line (it shouldn't be in true race TB's although perhaps in a cross) I think it's just another one of those weird genetic things.

#6 ·
Tobiano is not in thoroughbred/jockey club registered genetics. The white markings found in the breed are classified as "overo" (white caused by something other than tobiano).

That said, even in tobianos, ermine marks are not exclusive to minimal tobianos. We had a very loud tobiano, she had complete ermine marks around her hooves making all her feet solid black even though she had 4 stockings with white continuing into the body.

We also have purebred registered Arabians with ermine spots in their socks (we laugh about the holey socks) and some have haloing along the tops of their white socks and white on the face. My mom's black arabian stallion looks as though he has a stripe down his face, but if you look close, he only has pink skin under the star area and the snip area of the stripe. Just lots of white hairs on black skin in between to connect them together flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.