The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have miniature horses? I think they're so adorable but I'm not in a position to have one :( Maybe someday, but until then I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

Amanda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Amanda,

I have 2 minis- one pony (Flame, Chestnut mare 7 y.o. approx 7hh) and one horse (Ebony, Grey mare 17 y.o. approx 8hh)... We also had another friend Hayley (4 y.o. palomino), but she had to be put to sleep late last year :( ...
They are lovely friends to have, and even though i cant ride them, they love going for walks, being groomed, and doing all other normal horsey things...Especially eating!!!
I'm sure if you want some badly enough one day you will have them..When I work out how to do it, i will send some photos if you like...
Have just got computer & learning how to do all that stuff :lol: ..Let me know..
See you, Jen

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have two minis of my own and co-own another one. Two are mares and one is a stallion. Both mares are bred and one is for sure pregnant and due in June. I'll find out if the other one is for sure pregnant in two weeks. I absolutely love minis.
Here are some pics. of my minis.........

Cherry (16 yr. old mare, possibly pregnant)~

Kowboy (yearling stallion)~

Princess (14 yr. old mare, due in June)~
[img]http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/427_Princess_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/427_Princess_Tinkerbell_034_1.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Aww those pics are great. They're so beautiful. I love minatures, I dont own any, but I have friends that do.

Those pics really are lovely. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Heres some more pics. of my minis...I absolutely LOVE them!!!!

Smokie, he was my first miniature horse, sadly I lost him two years ago two days before Christmas when he was about 10 months old, he would be 2 yrs. old if he were still alive, I miss my lil' guy. Oh and I took him to nursing homes from the time he was three months old up until a couple months before he died (we had to stop because of the road conditions, too much snow. Anyways here are some pics. of him. You can go to my website to see more of Smokie and my other minis at www.thebradleyranch.com ~

·
Registered
449 Posts
omg i used to take care of some mini's at my next door neighbors house. Me and my friends each had our own. The neighbor said they were considered ours because we fed them,groomed them, and pretty much everything else with them. We were the only ones that messed with them. They were so cute but they got sold just last year because the neighbors are moving and all their kids are grown up. They went to a great barn though that is air conditioned. Wow i wonder what they look like now...but yeah i miss them so much. Oh and you have to be carefull with them they aren't as strong as regular horses and you have to remember that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
they are so lovely! there is a shetland at the end of my drive!! he's 17 years old but his owner doesnt really care for him he looks terrible :cry: i take him lots of treats he's bay and he's called "pon-pon" :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robyn-Niagara said:
his owner doesnt really care for him he looks terrible :cry:
Is he malnourished or just not being groomed like he should be? If he's being abused or neglected you should see if there's an equine rescue organization near you. They would help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a mini stallion. He's like a big pet dog as he's super sweet and loves to come in the house. He's also a great teaser for the big mares :). Anyone know someone looking to breed their mare in the TN area, send them my way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He is adorable! Guess what?! We're moving next month to a place with 3 acres and an existing barn so I can have a horse of my own! I'm so excited! Do you think mini is a good horse for a novice? They're way less expensive anyway right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
It depends on the cost. The unregistered and the "R" registered ones are usually the cheapest. The "A" registered are more because usually they are smaller. The "A" registration is sometimes difficult to work with though. If you are just wanting a pet, I'd go for either the unregistered or the "R" as they are just as nice as the "A"'s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I was wanting to look for an unregistered one. I don't care about pedigree (just that it's in good health) and it's ok if it's a little bigger than most; it's not like it's going to be a house pet (although that would be cool but my husband wouldn't go for it!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts