The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what my own personal thoughts on Mav’s conformation are but I would love to hear thoughts from all of y’all.

I don’t have any good “behind the hiney” pics right now. I will have to get some later, but for now, here’s these

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is only loading the last two for me.
However, the last side shot, was taken from the shoulder so it is making him look odd. Neck ties in pretty low. He seems to be standing camped under or sickle hocked. He seems to be pretty badly behind the knee on his front legs but those are the only things i can pick out. Nice short pasterns, fronts are upright.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only loading the last two for me.
However, the last side shot, was taken from the shoulder so it is making him look odd. Neck ties in pretty low. He seems to be standing camped under or sickle hocked. He seems to be pretty badly behind the knee on his front legs but those are the only things i can pick out. Nice short pasterns, fronts are upright.
Darn, not sure why the other ones aren’t loading.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Darn, not sure why the other ones aren’t loading.
They showed this time, so odd haha.
Anyways even with those my points did not change
*sickle hocked/camped under
*behind the knee
*upright pasterns on front but they’re nice and short all the way around
*neck ties in low
*not a fan of how little bone he has for as big bodied as he seems to be on the front.

In all he wouldn’t be a choice for what I do but nothing that would limit him as a general riding horse.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They showed this time, so odd haha.
Anyways even with those my points did not change
*sickle hocked/camped under
*behind the knee
*upright pasterns on front but they’re nice and short all the way around
*neck ties in low
*not a fan of how little bone he has for as big bodied as he seems to be on the front.

In all he wouldn’t be a choice for what I do but nothing that would limit him as a general riding horse.
I feel similar, especially about the last point. He is like a gas tank on stilts. But he’s still my handsome boy even if his conformation isn’t the best

·
Registered
48,989 Posts
I agree with most points offered by the others. I think , ,however, that his neck ties in properly and has a good length to it. His neck and shoulder are his best attributes. He is also slightly 'bench kneed on his left fore. One more thing He is a bit overweight, just a bit. He has a nice head is probablly a very sweet riding companion, and if you and he are doing well, don't let negative points on his confo get you down.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with most points offered by the others. I think , ,however, that his neck ties in properly and has a good length to it. His neck and shoulder are his best attributes. He is also slightly 'bench kneed on his left fore. One more thing He is a bit overweight, just a bit. He has a nice head is probablly a very sweet riding companion, and if you and he are doing well, don't let negative points on his confo get you down.
Thank you for the observations! What do you mean exactly when you say “bench kneed”?

:) Thank you for the words of encouragement! He is definitely a sweetheart, he has a heart and mind of gold, and a great partner. Just can’t decide what discipline to do with him! But until I do, I have fun just riding him for fun and working on whatever seems like a good idea to work on.

He was definitely overweight when these pics were taken. He has lost some since, I just haven’t gotten good conformation pictures yet. Waiting for him to shed out again first. ;)
Attached a picture of him more recently, but he is filthy in it, and winter floof makes it hard to see the weight loss. He’s definitely doing better weight wise, I can palpate his ribs now. He could lose a little more but as hard as it has been to get him down on weight some if he can maintain this I will be a happy camper. ☺

Attachments

·
Registered
48,989 Posts
bench kneed means that the lower leg bones are not in alignment with the upper leg bones So, from below the knee the leg comes down from off to the side a bit , asi if it were shifted over a bit, instead of coming down directly under the line of the upper leg bone.

I bet he'd do well at competitive trail riding.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bench kneed means that the lower leg bones are not in alignment with the upper leg bones So, from below the knee the leg comes down from off to the side a bit , asi if it were shifted over a bit, instead of coming down directly under the line of the upper leg bone.

I bet he'd do well at competitive trail riding.
Ohhh okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! :)

I have been looking at that for Pistol and thinking Mav might enjoy it too! Mav is not as sure footed as Pistol, nor does he cover as much ground at a trot, though his canter is pretty ground covering when he wants it to be, I think because he is so big (16.1 1/2 hands). But he has a very calm disposition most of the time and he loves an adventure. And from what I am able to tell he does calm and cool down easy when he has to work.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here’s that nice canter I mentioned. :) He has a pretty decent stride when he wants to.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
it is also called splay footed. they splay outwards. opposite of pigeon toed. He is a cute horse. Enjoy him. I do not know if it is a shadow on his rt front hoof in the photo or if his hoof has a dish to it. Have your farrier check it out.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is also called splay footed. they splay outwards. opposite of pigeon toed. He is a cute horse. Enjoy him. I do not know if it is a shadow on his rt front hoof in the photo or if his hoof has a dish to it. Have your farrier check it out.
Which picture do you notice it in the most, if any the most? He does have one club foot, and I can’t remember which one it is because it never bothers him lol. Do you think that might be what you’re seeing? His feet are also not one solid color, he has mixes of grey and white feet. So could be some of that you’re seeing too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts