The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I make halters and lead ropes and I have recently been looking for an alternative to the nylon or polypropylene braids. So, I was wondering, has anyone seen or made a halter completely out of mohair? Like a normal rope halter? I would use the 8 ply for the halter in place of the 1/4 inch rope and the 2 ply for the noseband braid in place of the paracord. Is this a bad idea? Thank you! Any input is appreciated :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
To my knowledge, I haven't seen one but I can't think of a reason it would be a bad idea. Mohair cinches were the standard in the Army for years because they're strong and last almost forever. I'd probably buy one if it weren't astronomically expensive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
To my knowledge, I haven't seen one but I can't think of a reason it would be a bad idea. Mohair cinches were the standard in the Army for years because they're strong and last almost forever. I'd probably buy one if it weren't prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I use mohair cinches. Have been doing so for years. My favorite is a simple 17 strand sold by Outfitters Supply in Montana. If I remember correctly, they're priced in the mid $40s. I don't find that they stretch more than just a bit, not enough to make any difference. Maybe one strand will stretch a lot, but not when there're 17 or more strands. Mohair halters sound intriguing. I would be curious.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I use a mohair cinch as well.

A braided mohair halter would probably look really nice. The thing with halters, and any horse tack really, is you are going to need a reason that mohair is better than a rope halter so people will want to justify the cost to get the "whatever is better". So, it should be a good reason. E.g. I use a mohair cinch because they breathe well so my horse stays cooler and they flex when the horse breathes and moves better than other materials I have tried and there is never any galling so that justifies the price for me.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I think mohair would be great for a decorative noseband on a halter but would not be strong enough for the rest of it, in the diameter needed. Horses exert a lot of force on a halter, or at least sure can. Also it would tend to stretch out of shape even without undue force.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies! I think I'll probably just make one and test it out for a few months, so I'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll try to figure out a way to braid it instead of simply tying knots like a normal rope halter. Again, thank you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.