The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know mohair is popular, but has anyone used alpaca string girth/cinches or breastcollars?

I recently acquired a ton of alpaca fleece, and I'd like to make something out of it. The fluffy Huacaya fiber is going to be made into a blanket, but I also have a lot of Suri alpaca fiber. The Suri isn't as warm and fluffy as the Huacaya, so I don't want to make a blanket out of it, but I noticed that it looks and feels almost identical to very fine mohair.

Would alpaca and mohair be comparable?

For reference, Huacaya Alpacas are what you think of when you picture an alpaca. Their wool makes them look a bit like a poodle. Suri alpacas have long, wavy wool that looks almost like dreadlocks. Much like an angora goat.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I have used Alpaca stuff.
Mainly cinches and I had a braided rather than traditionally twisted mcCarty made from Alpaca. While very soft and pretty it was just too light to be effective.

My husband and I both really liked the cinches. They lasted a long time. I'd say pure mohair(Angora) is very similar to Alpaca in softness for cinches.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have some of both Alpaca and mohair Cinches. I don't really think one is any better than the other. Both hold up good and breath well. Just keep them clean and they will last & hold up well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I spin and knit wools of various sheep breeds and fur fibers of different species - camel, rabbit, yak, mohair goat, alpaca, llama, ect. In my experience, alpaca is delightfully soft but it is also a weak fiber, best for sweaters, hats, socks and things like that.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
There are some commercially available alpaca cinches......I have a couple. I don't remember the brand.......Professional's Choice maybe? I cannot tell them from mohair (and I love mohair) except for the color, one is brown and one is a slightly different shade of cream. They are reputed to be as strong and good as mohair. I have no reason to believe any different as I've used them for years. So yes, they make great cinches!

Okay, it's Classic Equine, here is an example:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...ccess (T800) v2 PLA&utm_term=4585581963585799

1 - 5 of 5 Posts