The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to invest in a monoflap jump saddle for eventing. I just want to know what people think is the best brands, and maybe specifically the Pessoa Legacy Monoflap Event Saddle, Wise Air XC-Show Jumping saddles (both the reg. And the elite) and M. Toulouse Marielle +4 Monoflap Saddle? I need a saddle with an adjustable tree since I'm riding/competing several different horses if that makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the mono flap styled saddles, offers a little bit closer contact. To be honest though, depending on how different shaped the horses you are competing, 1 saddle probably won't do the job for you. If they are all fairly similar in back shape, then you would be better off using different styles of padding under the saddle rather than altering the saddle all the time. I would be concerned about the constant alteration of the saddle affecting the strength of the tree.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Curiosity here- other than the "close contact feel", what's the appeal with monoflap saddles? I don't find most of most to be particularly attractive and don't find that one less piece of leather makes THAT much of a difference in the feel- so why are they so popular nowadays? Looks? Feel? Lack of cleaning under another flap?

I know that different people like different things, but what exactly does everyone like about them that makes them so popular?!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find them easier for me to get my leg around some of the bigger horses I've had to ride. I'm short (5'3") but my proportions are out of whack, I've got really short legs. The girth is added bulk under my leg and with the monoflap, which has long points and therefore a short girth, I don't have that extra bulk to try and get my short little legs around :)

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I find them easier for me to get my leg around some of the bigger horses I've had to ride. I'm short (5'3") but my proportions are out of whack, I've got really short legs. The girth is added bulk under my leg and with the monoflap, which has long points and therefore a short girth, I don't have that extra bulk to try and get my short little legs around :)
Yeah, I guess the billet length does make a difference with some saddles... I'm a dressage person mostly, so the billet length wouldn't make much of a difference to me :p

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I absolutely love monoflap saddles for both jumping and dressage. I competed for quite a while in an older model Antares monoflap and it was wonderful. I don't know the exact model as the saddle is about 12-15 years old, but it held up beautifully and was so incredibly comfortable. I've also ridden a bit in the Dutton Wisair monoflap and really liked it a lot as well. It was lightweight, comfortable and I love the way it fit the horse.

I also really like Black Country monoflaps and have ridden a bit in one of their monoflap dressage saddles.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
while i have never had personal experience riding in a monoflap, i have always wondered about billet repairs on them. wouldn't it be more difficult and more pricey if a billet should break and you have to repair/replace it? you'd have to open up that monoflap to get at the area you need to repair. wouldn't the monoflap also make it more difficult to see if your billets have any damage to them under the flap area? i'd be worried if i couldn't visually assess the whole billet area every time i rode. just something i've always thought about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a HDR dressage monoflap, and regarding ducks question, I think it is noticeably closer feeling. Mine has pretty big knee rolls, and I feel like my leg is much tighter and slimmer to the horse than in my standard two flap dressage saddle. It really feels closer to bareback from my knees down.

And Edmonton, my billets are attached to the underside, the more forward one attaching halfway down near the knee roll and the back billet attaching under the seat like normal. Like this, but mine does not have that 'sleeve' over the top of the billets.
monoflap dressage saddle - Bing Images

So you can visually inspect them, but I use a slightly thicker pad to make sure they don't pull against my horse's back weird, he seems content and doesn't work differently (well, he works better because I ride better!).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love monoflaps. Horses become much more sensitive to subtle leg cues after some time in a monoflap. I also find that wrapping my legs around the horse is much easier and more natural.

I used to own a Black Country Vinici GP which was amazingly comfortable and well made but I struggled a bit with the placement of the stirrup bars. Now I own a Forestier Boekelo which I unfortunately have to sell. The Forestier really does facilitate the best riding position of any saddle I've ridden in. The leather is lovely; I think it will last forever! It's too bad the twist is too narrow for my pelvis.

Like you, I ride a lot of horses in my saddle. It is a medium wide tree and I'm able to use a shimmable thinline pad to fit the saddle to most horses.

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I start to actually compete in eventing I really want the Marielle! It's so pretty, and it has a pretty good price, and looks comfortable. I have ridden in a friends Stubben once, my first time in a monoflap, and it was interesting haha. I would say make sure you try each one out and see which fits your criteria. Courbette visions are also really beautiful jumping/ cross country saddles, don't know if it's in your price range or not. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm gonna offer an honest evaluation of monoflaps here.

I have ridden in quite a couple of monoflaps and personally felt that none gave me a more "close contact" feel. Some have particularly thick flaps to protect the horse and rider that make them feel even bulkier than a normal saddle. I am not a fan of gigantic blocks which most monoflaps have. Especially since the calf blocks sit directly underneath the hip and block off the natural alignment of where your leg is supposed to be forcing your legs too far forward. I do not like the rigid billet arrangements on some of the models that can compromise the stability of the saddle on wider barreled horses. The billets pull the girth too far forward and have irritated my horse's elbows. The thing is that most monoflaps are geared towards XC which is great for when you need to ride in a defensive position or the 2% of the time you are going down a ditch. However, like most, I spend less than 1% of my hours in the saddle on the XC course and 99% of my time flatting or jumping which I don't feel they are all that great for.

In my personal experience, I feel the Devoucoux Chiberta is the best monoflap. The Heritage monoflap saddle was good too. I didn't really like the M. Toulouse Marielle or the Pessoa (the old school saddles are so much better!) one as they were hard to 2point in or jump without being sucked into the back. I really really didn't like the Jeffrey's flyover, Berney Bros, or Southern Stars. Especially Southern Stars. That was just way too much saddle and was nearly impossible to post the trot in. I was absolutely terrified of that saddle...:-:)lol: My friend just put her Stubben Excaliber for sale recently to buy a regular saddle. It seems like the various companies are just copying each other and accommodating for whats trendy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Monoflap jump saddle

I love my Black Country Monoflap jumping saddle.....my leg has never felt so secure and it has the felt bottom (serge panel) which I like also. (I have
been riding 40 years and eventing 15 years...) However, I have just purchased a Pegasus Butterfly dressage saddle, which is new to the market, made in Germany, with 4 hinges which adjust to fit all horses! This may be good for you, check out the website. They are expensive ($4000) but they offer financing with a good interest rate. I am still breaking my saddle in, but it is so comfortable and my horse moves so much more fluidly. It is similar to a monoflap. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I always thought monoflaps were a saddle fad. then i rode in my trainer's Jeffries flyover. whoa. totaly difference in my position over fences! I just got my own a few weeks ago and absolutely love it! i feel closer to my horse and it seems he can hear my leg cues better. This particular one also fits my leg better. not saying all of these things are due to its monoflapness....

Its not technically a monoflap, but i do have a Courbette vision for sale if anyone wants it. ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.