The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me it has been a busy couple of years with no time for horses, back in 2013 I had spent a bunch of time taking pictures of wild horses and had a lot of fun with it, but haven't been able to ride in years.

For those of you who don't know I am a long haul heavy haul trucker. I own my own truck, and I stay pretty busy with it. My company leases to a larger company and we all run out of the Great Falls area in Montana. Great group of guys over here and one in particular I am quickly becoming good friends with has a horse ranch.

Yesterday we both happened to be in town at the same time and I wound up spending the day with him, we started off halter breaking a colt which was really cool, I learned so much from it. Then we hauled all of his 2 year olds up to his place at the base of the mountains to join the rest of his herd there.

While we were up there I got some awesome pictures.

One horse in particular I really fell in love with was this girl, she is so pretty.

So many great horses up there, he has about 30 in total, this spring I am going to be spending some time up there taking photos and getting back into riding again, I am pretty excited about it.

If everything works out he is also going to teach me how to break a colt, I am pretty stoked about this because the guy knows his stuff, its going to be quite the adventure.

I have a feeling that this summer is going to be the one I finally wind up with a horse of my own.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Subbing... I absolutely love Montana and lived on a ranch not far from Great Falls for a short period of time back in 2009. I will be living vicariously through you!

Reactions: BigNickMontana

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it sounds like I am getting a horse!

I really took a shining to the colt we started breaking out there, really liked him. He is a spirited ******, but I can also tell he is super smart.

The caveat is there is a guy who also wants him, but he has been super wishy washy, so if he doesn't step up I am getting him.

He is a AQHA registered Quarter horse, both his mama and daddy are great looking horses and super healthy and sound. Next time I am up there definitely have to be getting some pictures of him.

The great part is assuming I get him going to wind up having the guy I got him from teach me to break him. And since he has about 30 good n broke horses running around out there, I will get to ride those in the mean time while the colt is growing up and getting broke which will be a little over 2 years, I won't ride him till he is 3.

I am really really excited about it though.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Subbing
living in a small town in Montana and loving it

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So these are not the best pics, the lighting was garbage in the barn, so lots of noise, but I am sharing anyways.

He is super smart, going to make a great horse, still unsure if I am going to get him or not yet because I am 2nd in line. Want him really bad though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I am a little bummed out, got back into town this morning, was hoping to go out and see the lil booger, but nobody is going to be home the next couple of days so I will have to wait till the next time.

It does sound like I will be getting him though.

Now I just need to come up with a name for him.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well today I got to go out and work with Rowdy some more finally, went great.

I was amazed though how white he turned.

Steve tells me that it is because he is getting ready to shed his winter coat, and that when he gets his summer coat in he will be a beautiful red roan, I believe him. Can't wait to see it.

Here are some more pictures.

He is a handsome little devil, tons of personality too, I can tell he is very smart. Today was only the second time he had been handled by a human, we were able to get a halter on him, tied him for a bit which he fought pretty hard but eventually gave into.

I did get to touch him finally, he is still at that stage of not trusting and wanting to spook but he did let me rub between his eyes and on his neck, then with I started with his mane he started licking his lips and his eyes rolled back and got really soft, I could tell he really liked it. Even fed him out of my hand and I got to be the first person to do that with him.

I got to watch him run in the paddock too, Rowdy is sure footed and fast and he can turn on a dime. His moves come effortlessly like a leaf on the breeze but he has such power behind them.

If I could have I would have stayed out there all day and just watched him. He is a very cool horse. I think he is going to make a great friend and I feel really honored to have him.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah and had to update my Avatar too seeing as how the one I had was a picture I had taken, but was not of my horse. xD

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
A red roan. One of the prettiest colors. With that nice rear end he's got, he has the look of a real cowhorse. Here is my old man, Chief Crazy Horse, 16.2 hands of meat and muscle. He is in winter coat here, so doesn't show much, but he is a few spot Appaloosa.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A red roan. One of the prettiest colors. With that nice rear end he's got, he has the look of a real cowhorse. Here is my old man, Chief Crazy Horse, 16.2 hands of meat and muscle. He is in winter coat here, so doesn't show much, but he is a few spot Appaloosa.
That is a big boy, looks like he has a solid foundation under him too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lincoln/flathead county area.
Right on, my horse is up in Conrad right now.

I have spent a lot of time up in White Fish, my grandparents moved up there with the BN rail road when they pulled out of Livingston so I used to spend my summers up there. Its a really pretty area.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.