The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to take a month mostly off riding soon. Teddy is just going to have to not get ridden, because I am not comfortable with anyone else riding him right now, but I'm wondering about Pony. Should I give him the month off, or should I ask for training rides to be put on him?

Pony is about 6.5 years old and has been at this barn for almost a year. He was really green when he got here, but after a lot of training he sort of settled down and is now semi-reliable (with some acting up), carries himself better, keeps straight, does nice circles, and is generally good at a walk and trot. He still can't pick up his left lead at the canter, usually, and gets tired easily. So it seems like more training might be the thing for him, rather than just letting him sit.

But ...some of you may have read my thread about the trainer running him around when he wouldn't drop his nose and became "disobedient." I've decided to start working with another trainer and putting rides on him myself. But I won't be able to do that in the upcoming month. If I put him back in training, the old trainer would mostly likely be either riding him or supervising him being ridden for those training rides. When I've watched her supervising other people doing training rides, she tends to get angry (if at all) at the people, not the horses. And when he was in regular training, he did make some progress in what he could do.

So... knowing all of that, would you all just let him sit for a month, or ask for training rides to be put on him? Or is there anything else you would suggest? I doubt there's anyone out there who would want to just ride him for fun, because he's so darn stubborn he usually ends up ticking people off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've found a month just flies actually. The only reason I wanted mine to be kept schooled by staff was so she didn't lose condition but was never really worried about her schooling or mental state after a break, just her literal physical condition which sounds maybe more in line with what you're worried about? I am aware some ppl need to keep their horses ticking regularly or they go crazy after a break but that's not really a problem with mine. I just did some extra ground work before getting on. But really... I know with the amount of effort I've put into getting her fitter that right now I'd be loathe to let her sit a month and lose some of it. But then again... it's from a medical standpoint to keep her sound. If letting her sit wouldn't affect her I think I'd probably just do that.

Sorry... haha hope it helps!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
It does sound like he would benefit from some training rides, but better no rides then rides you aren't happy with. A month off may do him some good, while bad riding can create major issues that are difficult to undo. If you have someone who you WANT to ride him then go for it, if not then give him some time off and don't worry about it!

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Training rides could be good from the right person to progress him.
Sometimes some time off lets a horse absorb training too and they take a big jump forward in progress when you bring them back. It feels like those things you have been teaching cement in.

In my opinion this is a feel thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the time off theory. I may be refreshing for all involved.

Also, I’ve never had a trainer truly get angry with horses. That’s a red flag. Very firm yes, true anger, never. When someone is truly angry they lose their wits and should walk away. Now if your trainer was being very firm in a situation that was necessary that’s another story... some horses and ponies require firmness every now and then.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm a big believer in time off for horses. It's amazing how many problems go away once the horse gets a few weeks to just 'be a horse.' For something as short as a month, just let him be. If it was six months, then some rides periodically would be more prudent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.