The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why DO they like the middle of the round bale so much better? What's so good about it? Also, what if Moonshine falls in? :p It's like a weird hay bale black hole.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Mine do the same thing....

When they find a spot of tender tasting hay they concentrate to eat from their. When that spot is gone they will then find another...
Depending upon how tight your roll is the center may also be the easiest place to start eating from, loosest spun as the rest of the roll is spun onto the core and a core starts with "air"...
By appearance, it also looks the nicest of the hay.

You have an awful lot of waste to me AC....that is an enormous amount of hay they stand on and ransack the roll wasting..
Now I understand why you are replacing rolls every 2 weeks.... :cautious:

If you made a sort of enclosure from some pallets and a few hinges attached to them you would cut down on a lot of the waste and have more eaten than needing thrown away. Pallets and hinges also allows you to carry them, hooking them together around a roll but would stop much of that waste you have...
Sure is a difference in appearances of roll kept in the same place but contained now shows how mush it makes that difference show.
Plant Wood Tree Grass Natural landscape
Plant Nature Wood Land lot Grass
Wood Tree Shade Table Plant

You've said your husband has tools and likes to build things and is good at it....none of those shown are hard or expensive a project... Pallets by me are often free for the taking. The last one takes more creativity and expense but also protects better from rains...
The difference in waste = money in your pocket and a cleaner environment the horse{s} will live in and stand on though is going to be substantial.
By looks of your roll you also take the roll wrap off it and using a containment system of some sort would help control the "pop" once they start to eat from it that happens.
My husband would flip seeing that mess and waste you have since it is him who now maintains the paddock space now he's retired..
馃惔....

Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
Ugh, I feel this!! Elle has two things that make round bales not-the-best idea for her. One, her forelock is SHOT from eating from round bales. It used to just be sort of mediocre, but not it's just this sad little puff, I assume from it being rubbed to death in the process. (I'm sure she's scratching her face in there, too!) The other thing is that she's developed some degree of COPD/allergies in her senior years that I'm sure isn't helped by shoving her face right into a round bale. But shove she does! And there is no getting around it. EVERY barn here feeds rounds in the fields. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔

Registered
My rounds bales are in a hay ring with a bale net over bale. Nothing makes my hubby more mad, then a ton of wasted hay to clean up come spring. Just a hay ring alone doesn't eliminate waste helps reduce it. Keeps them from pawing bale apart peeing in it pooping in it an using it for their bed.

Nets almost eliminate the waste horses can't stick their heads into bale either. Here's the net I bought.
Plant Tree Mesh Rectangle Sky

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah one thing I've learned from this whole thing is if I end up feeding round bales, I'm going to get some sort of feeding set up, not just dump them on the ground.

Registered
My black horse is very silly and handsome. He is hard to train most of the time.
Ugh, I feel this!! Elle has two things that make round bales not-the-best idea for her. One, her forelock is SHOT from eating from round bales. It used to just be sort of mediocre, but not it's just this sad little puff, I assume from it being rubbed to death in the process. (I'm sure she's scratching her face in there, too!) The other thing is that she's developed some degree of COPD/allergies in her senior years that I'm sure isn't helped by shoving her face right into a round bale. But shove she does! And there is no getting around it. EVERY barn here feeds rounds in the fields. 馃し鈥嶁檧锔
You might try this: DIY Mane & Tail Growth Recipe for Horses {Printable} - Savvy Horsewoman for her forelock. I have yet to try it but have heard that it really works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts