The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gunther is going to training again next sunday, I'm very excited! He has only had his basic 45 days of under saddle training. The trainer is very nice, and knows what he's doing. I've only seen him ride gaited though, because that is what he owns, breeds, trains, and shows in. How different [training wise] are the two?

I'm not worried because before he got into gaited horses he trained Qh's and other non-gaited breeds. He just got into them later on in life because he does alot of trail riding. The trainer is very gentle and is more than willing to take his time. Which is a change from the last time Gunther was trained, lets just say it wasn't such a great experience.

I'm sick of Gunther sitting around and now that we have a trainer at the barn I'm going to take advantage of it, fully. He's going to be trained to rein (which I've ridden a reiner about 5 times my whole life). I'm nervous but I know he will be good.

I work at a horse barn and make $9 and hr, which is good around here because barely anyone can get a job around here. That is my only source of income, besides riding two horses for $20 each a week, which means I would only be getting $40 a week. But instead of getting paid I would be getting full board (feed+hay included). They were going to also pay me $300 a month because I work everyday but wed, which would go towards the trainer. He would stay there until about aug.
I would want to get a second job but the barn takes up most of my time and if Gunther is there I will be there more. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if you should quit your current job and work at the barn where he will be getting trained?
No, I work at the barn he will be trained at. I just am contemplating on picking up a second job because instead of getting paid cash I will be getting boarding and training.

The real question is how different is training a gaited horse vs. a non-gaited horse?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Oh, well only you know if you can afford that or not. If you need to pick up a second job and you think the board and training is worth it then do it. If not then take lessons, finish him yourself or find someone who might be cheaper. There are always options.

As far as the difference...there isn't really one. A horse is a horse and if he is only doing basic training. However you said that this guy is going to train your horse for reining. What are his reining credentials? Has he ever trained a reiner? Competed in reining? Known in the area? It seems like you're going to be "paying" a decent amount of money for this training so I would make sure you get your money's worth. It might be better to find a person who specializes in reining to train your horse and then just work at this barn to pay for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.