The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun! Also to see if there is anything I should look out for when I'm riding him :) I didn't get the photos from the front and back, but I can always add more.

So yeah, this is Ninja! He's 5yo, turning 6 in October. He's a Morgan cross, although I'm not sure what the other half is. We were told Stockhorse, but on his registration thing, it says a Pony x Thoroughbred. He's 14.1-2hh, somewhere around there anyway.

Sorry his coat looks so rough btw, it's winter and he's very fluffy :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
He's cute...
Only thing I really see is the hip girdle, sacroiliac joint is a bit further back than optimum.
That will then also effect set of hind legs and look of the hindquarters..
Can make his stride bouncier and possibly affect his hind end..
Many horses have this build and can do incredible work and are very versatile discipline riding companions.
Enjoy him.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
To me he looks like a very nice sort. If I were to pick him apart, I'd like a shorter back and longer croup, a bit more wither, more angle to his rear legs (they are too straight up and down), and generally more smooth blending of angles. He's not fancy, but he looks solid and like he could put in a good day's work without a fuss. He doesn't look like he is half thoroughbred. Stock Horse I might believe.

·
Premium Member
23,903 Posts
He looks nice & solid. Tad bum high which could make saddle fit/balance slightly harder, but not pronounced.

Avna re not looking TB, it was tb-pony x so what kind pony & how much of its genes are in there... I don't really see any Morgan characteristics. Not that it matters, just that ime Morgans tend to have finer araby heads.

OP while he looks a stocky type and it's winter here so fluff might be the big thing, he does also look a bit chunky weight-wise. Just be aware that while overweight horses are what people are used to, it's not great for them to be overweight long term - leading cause of laminitis. Regular 'hard seasons' to use up fat stores is good for them. I like to let mine get slim(not skinny) over winter to 'reset' the metabolism before going into spring. And don't kno where in Oz you are, but with rain, we might actually have a good spring this year...

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's definitely half Morgan, he's registered with the Morgan association thing haha.

OP while he looks a stocky type and it's winter here so fluff might be the big thing, he does also look a bit chunky weight-wise.
I can still feel his ribs fairly easily, was there anything, in particular, making him look chubby? Most of our horses are either very overweight or very skinny, so I'm not very good at seeing the less extreme versions tbh.

Also, I've cut down on his food a bit and am just feeding more hay, because I just learned how small their stomachs are - I could cut it down more if he is gaining weight ^^

·
Premium Member
23,903 Posts
He's just got that 'filled in' look, but to be clear, he doesn't look too bad at all. Just something to be aware & careful of really. Yeah best to do so & manage accordingly before he gets really fat, as that's such a common cause of serious health probs.

If all your other horses really fat or skinny, you might like to start a thread in health on that, tell us their diets etc. But won't bog this thread...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.