The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my first horse and I wanted to know if a Morgan Quarter Horse cross is a good first horse. I heard they were a handful and hyper. What do you think? Do you have one? If you do how to they act? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It's more about the specific horse than the breed when looking for a good first horse.

My first pony was a Morgan/QH and she was an angel, but I'm sure there are high strung, bratty or otherwise unfit ones out there.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
It's more about the specific horse than the breed when looking for a good first horse.
This is especially true with crosses. QH's are "typically" calm, level headed horses, and while I don't typically think of Morgans as a hot breed, the ones I know can be overachievers :)

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
It all depends on the specific horse. Quarter horses have a reputation for being fairly quiet creatures, but I've met some that are way nutty as well. I'm less familiar with Morgans, but I've known a few morgan crosses that have been lovely tempered. I've also known a few that have been awful. Use good judgement and the good judgement of a knowledgeable horse person for buying your first horse rather than focusing exclusively on the breed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2 year old filly and she is amazing smart, calm good leaded great stops and will move when I want and I haven't ridden her yet I definitely love the cross

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a Morgan x Paint. He is a great horse, tries his heart out, but he is not a beginner's horse. He is not hot per se, but sensitive and forward, and needs reassurance from his rider or else he will do whatever he thinks he needs to do to feel safe.

As far as Morgans go, I've seen that character a few times now.
I believe the more "old school" (foundation) Morgans are generally a bit less sensitive than the more refined, Saddlebred-looking type. But of course it's all up to the individual.

QH - depending on the work they are bred for - are generally believed to be a pretty calm, level-headed breed. E.g. race or cutting bred QH are a bit more feisty than halter or WP bred ones.

Of course, it's always an individual decision. If you are seriously interested, I would just go take a look at that horse.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It all comes down to the individual. I've met some QH's who you could trust with your life and would be the best baby sitter for a little kid, and I've met some pretty crazy ones that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Of course, there are some in between. I feel that Morgans are less extreme than that in most cases. Most of the ones I've met seem to have a nice balance between "whoa" and "go." However, there are some that don't fit the norm. Just look into the horse's temperament as an individual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.