The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost two years ago, I went with a group of friends to a mosaic picture frame class for a Girls' Night Out; and I fell in love with mosaics. Next month, I'll be part of an exhibit of mosaic art at a local gallery! I'll be exhibiting as a student, not as a professional, but I'm so excited! And nervous! Here are a few of my pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mod note:

Your images can't be displayed because this discussion board blocks Facebook links. Try posting them from your computer or from an image sharing website.

·
Registered
48,847 Posts
those are just delightful!! the other day I happened to walk by a mosaic parlor, like you described. where you pay for materials and you just sit and make your own piece of artwork. it seems like a ton of fun!
yours are stained glass windows, when they're done, right?

I realy like the top one, of the sun reflecting in the water. super!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words! Mosaics differ from stained glass in that mosaics have a substrate (a base onto which the colored glass is adhered). That substrate can be almost anything: concrete, wood, glass, porcelain, bottles, flowerpots, etc. (My instructor has even mosaic'd a princess phone and an old toaster!) The stuff between the pieces is grout, like what you probably have between your bathroom tiles or kitchen backsplash.

Stained glass is cut glass that is joined to other pieces of cut glass with leading/fusing between the pieces.

Mosaic artists usually use smaller pieces of glass than stained glass artists.

My favorite substrate is glass because I like the luminescence, the beauty of natural light streaming through the colored glass. But I have mosaic'd trays (wood and metal) and wood plaques; and I've done glass vases, too. We use different types of adhesives -- everything from silicone to Weldbond to paper-thin adhesive sheets that melt into glue when they're heated.

My trademark is an organic, brushstroke-type style, which is meant to mimic the impressionists. ("Sunflowers II," above, is indicative of that style.)

My process? I usually get inspired by looking at nature -- and sometimes, at other artists' work. Recently, I was assisting with a workshop, and one of the ladies was working on a water scene featuring lily pads. Her tones were very muted, and her piece had a heavy Asian vibe to it. It was very cool, but it wasn't something that I particularly wanted to do. So I took the lily pad idea and added koi and changed the coloring. So her work (lily pads) was my inspiration, but my work looks nothing like hers.

Thanks for checking them out! :)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Those are very nice pieces, they're beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.