The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a good mosquito spray I have tons of mosquitos because there are tons of rice fields around here, literally riding tonight you couldn't go an inch on my horses skin without a mosquito before I sprayed them down and my spray works but not as good as I would like I have a really good spray for them I use bug block can anyone help me out? Also tons of flys if I don't use spray almost everyday they eat holes all over the horses and I have to have fly masks on them 90% of the time or they get holes by their eyes and one of my friends horses eyes swelled shut from not being protected from them.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I know how you feel. I posted a thread a little while ago and it explains how bad they are here. http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/feel-bad-horses-421874/

So far this actually works for the mosquitoes. Since it's a concentrate you can add more or less depending on what you need. In this case more. Pyranha 1-10PX Fly Spray Concentrate Pyranha (Fly Control - Fly Premise Spray)
I know it seems expensive, but it lasts a while since it's a concentrate.

So far the best combo I have found is spray them down with this spray and cover them with a fly sheet, neck piece, fly mask and fly boots. It stinks to have to worry about the dang things since they're nothing but pests, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the horses as content as you can. So far I have spent about $350 between buying both of the horses new fly gear and the spray. Good luck with the mosquitoes.

Reactions: rescuechick

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Like everything else, the more expensive the spray, the better it works. One that isn't sold in Canada is Absorbine's RED and I was very impressed when someone sprayed her horse with it just before the farrier came. Not a horse fly, deer fly, black fly nor mosquito bothered the horse and they were bad that year. I have a Mosquito Magnet running and even without the attractant, just the propane giving off C02, the little basket is packed full every morning. It does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Like everything else, the more expensive the spray, the better it works. One that isn't sold in Canada is Absorbine's RED and I was very impressed when someone sprayed her horse with it just before the farrier came. Not a horse fly, deer fly, black fly nor mosquito bothered the horse and they were bad that year. I have a Mosquito Magnet running and even without the attractant, just the propane giving off C02, the little basket is packed full every morning. It does make a difference.
not always:wink:

I have a mare who is allergic to mosquitos, and sensitive to bugs in general. I've bought some sprays locally that were probably anywhere from $55-$70. I now buy one that is not available locally and it is literally the only spray that has somewhat worked for her. It's I believe $18 for a regular size spray bottle of it (minus shipping costs of course).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts