The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bored my horse right now but this spring I am planing on building a place for him. It is on my father-in-laws land. The place where he said I can build it can have lots of mosquitoes at times. My question is this, are mosquitoes a big concern? Is there some kind of spray I might need to get for my horse? Any info you can give me would be great.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Make sure your horse is vaccinated against West Nile. There is spray called Mosquito Halt you can pick up in your feed/tack store that will probably help.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mosquitos are definitely a big concern because they do spread infectious diseases like West Nile Virus. Horses can also be highly sensitive to their bites and end up with welts and sores from them.

You will need to get rid of any areas of standing water if you can and if you can't treat them with something along the lines of "Mosquito Dunks" that can be bought at places like Lowes and Tractor Supply. This will help to control the mosquito population. You also need to be vaccinating against WNV early in the year, at least 2 weeks before the start of mosquito season. Fly sprays can also be used to help prevent mosquitos from biting your horse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.