The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as the title says , I am looking to lease out Hunter to help pay board every month. The girl that is interested I knew in high school and I trust her with my horse and as a business person. But I need help with the lease agreements to be signed as well as with the fine details. She is wanting to ride 2-3 days a week, which is what I was wanting. I would also like for her to do 2-3 lessons a month with a trainer at the barn so I can be sure he is getting the correct work. Hunter is best for flat work or trails with some jumping. Bombproof as he can get and a great horse to deal with all around.

Leasing a horse out is not a big thing around here so I have no prices to compare to. What do you guys think would be a fair price? I'm pretty sure a half lease is what I'm looking at- she pays to ride but I still cover all general costs.

I have never done this before and need some advice and help! Any suggestions or such would be greatly appreciated. I think this would benefit myself and hunter and the other girl as well in the long run. I'll be busy with school this semester and be won't able to ride or hive hunter as much attention as he needs and this girl has been looking around for a horse to lease for s long time now

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would say look at your monthly expenses and then cut that in half as your starting point (as she'd be riding about half the time). If you're wanting her to take lessons with a trainer at the barn, you might want to go a little lower on your fee, as she'll have to shell out the lesson cost as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like a 1/2 lease to me. Typically in that situation the leaser would pay half of all expenses - board, shoes, shots. Except for medical, unless it was an incident that involved the lease.
I would make sure to have in the contract that she needs to give you 30 days notice if she decided to stop leasing.
Also have you thought about equipment, will see use yours or does she have her own?
Here is an example of a good contract.
http://equine2.com/static/PartTimeLeaseAgreement.pdf

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@kenda, that's basically what I was thinking. Board at the barn is $700/month (disregarding that I get an employee discount since I have NO work currently to pay for it) and I have supplements, farrier, etc to pay for as well. I talked with one of the trainers and she was thinking about $300/month and 2-3 lessons a month would be a reasonable thing to ask for.

@brittabam, thanks for the link to the lease agreement, I've been looking around online at different ones to see what's best. The one I found that I like does have the 30 days notice in there, as well. As for equipment, she would use mine, and in this lease agreement that I found that I like, it would have me list my equipment that is or is not to use.

@LadyDreamer, I do not have insurance on him nor do I have the finances for that. He's been one of those horses that rarely ever has any issues, and in 5 years of owning him I've never had him colic. *knock on wood* I'm also thinking of having her take lessons to have an extra set of eyes to make sure she's handling him like she should and that she does not push him too hard.

Thanks guys for your input, it definitely helps!

·
Registered
315 Posts
$700 board? My goodness, where do you live that it is so high?? What are your lesson costs? I pay $200/mo and that includes hay, but not grain. Anyway, what my trainer does is splits board and shoes in half, so I ended up paying $150 a month for 2-3 days a week of riding, she covers all other bills. Lessons are $35/hr. Maybe that wouldn't work for you due to such higher costs though. Maybe instead of board have her cover other costs? Like she can pay for hay and shoes plus $150 board or something along those lines. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Horsequeen, I'm on the coast in SE Georgia. Most places around here are closer to 350 pasture and 550 stall, but this place is associated with Sea Island, and if any of yall know, its like the wealthiest place around here. This is not a big horsey area though and I'm only at this barn because there's literally no where good around here anymore where I trust my horse to be at. We had a huge falling out at my old barn that I was at for a year and a half... long story.

I was thinking of charging 300 and basically splitting it up on my own wherever I need it. I 'work off' board as an employee but there is currently no work :( farrier is 35 every 6 weeks, I buy my own feed, he gets shots and supplements for his arthritis, and y'all know there's always more than just the basics because things always come up! Like right now i have a few hundred dollars worth of textbooks I need for school this semester...

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
$700 board? My goodness, where do you live that it is so high?? What are your lesson costs? I pay $200/mo and that includes hay, but not grain. Anyway, what my trainer does is splits board and shoes in half, so I ended up paying $150 a month for 2-3 days a week of riding, she covers all other bills. Lessons are $35/hr. Maybe that wouldn't work for you due to such higher costs though. Maybe instead of board have her cover other costs? Like she can pay for hay and shoes plus $150 board or something along those lines. Hope that helps!
That would be cheap on Long Island. Your looking at $800+ for full board. You can find some back yard places for $600+.

OP, Not sure about the money situation but made sure you spell out every single last detail out. These details usually make a deal go sour.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow I had no idea how board could be so crazy high elsewhere in the STates. Crazy. I'm kind of in awe, actually. I feel lucky now having only $200. $300 doesn't seem to bad, I'd ask for maybe a little more if you have to pay 700 and also have alot more to pay for non-horse wise. But that's just me. If you are good friends with the girl, negotiation shouldn't be a hassle. I'm sure you'll do what is fair. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
You could also try looking on craigs list or another horse site and seeing what other horses for lease in your area are going for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts