The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

You can either describe or if you have pictures / videos, feel free to share! Here is one of my most surprising / pretty painful falls.

My horse in this video is almost 26, but sometimes he likes to prove he is still a young and spirited colt! (I no longer canter him, his arthritis is making it too painful ):}

I've had my fair share of falls, but this one still makes me laugh because I never thought he could get his butt so high in the air

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow HunterJumperShow yours is definitely more spectacular than mine !

Yesterday I feel for the second time in my life (bare in mind I only started riding 15 months ago ). The first fall was on a hack when I only just started riding and this time it was on my horse (bought him 2 months ago) but I should have stayed on ...obviously need more work trotting with no stirrup !

I don't have any obvious injury but I guess at my age (44 !) I'm more "fragile" ..ahah so my lower back and bum hurt quite a lot !

I have a video (not on youtube, somewhere else) but I can't figure out how to post it the same as you...all I can seem to be able to do is a link?
Any help on how to post it the same as you did?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My worst fall was when i was just going on a light hack by myself to cool my horse down after a long ride. My horse spooked and she spun and i fell of the side.

It doesn't sound to bad, but i landed on a tree stump I dont know how i managed to do that and my back bent in a way it shouldn't have and snapped! My horse took off running and i had to walk a mile back to my barn.

That was definitely a super scary experience!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a video (not on youtube, somewhere else) but I can't figure out how to post it the same as you...all I can seem to be able to do is a link?
Any help on how to post it the same as you did?
If it's online you just click the paperclip when you're posting and put the link, but if it's a file I think you just upload it?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ouch! That looked pretty painful.

My most embarrassing fall was my most 'recent' fall. Back in 2011 (or 2010, can't remember) I was showing a APHA named Jack. He was pretty hyped up and needed to get used to his surroundings. So I was warming him up in the practice ring. For the first few laps he seemed edgy, shying at things, etc. But he settled down. Then all of a sudden, he threw me. Just one big buck. I think he spooked at someone throwing a cooler down, and the noise spooked him. I was caught off guard, everyone stopped and looked at me. I was in complete shock. It didn't hurt or anything, I was just so embarrassed. EVERYONE WAS STARING AT ME. I hate it when people do that! After that I just casually grabbed Jack, walked out of the ring, went to my friend, started to cry because everyone saw, then hopped back on Jack.

Yep it was a crazy day.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My most embarrassing fall has to be a few months ago with my four year old APHA Apollo. We had had our roadblocks along the way where we went too fast too soon and I ended up on the ground a few times. Anyways I got him from the field one day and tacked him up with a saddle I had used on him before that the BO and I had ridden him in and he was fine with. Well as I cinched up I kept looking at the saddle thinking something was wrong, it didn't look right, but I thought I was over reacting as my mom put it. So i took him to the arena and started lunging him out before I retightened the cinch and went to the mounting block to get on him.
I put my left foot in, put my weight in the stirrup and just about to swing my leg over when Apollo gave a grunt and crow hopped. I fell into the saddle and sat the first hop and was getting ready to just ride it out when i saw the fence in front of us and thought if he got me off now and sent me flying towards the fence that's gong to hurt, so I dived off the right side and got out of the way. I was so confused as to why he'd done that after we were just getting back on track. So I caught a hold of him and told my mom that I wanted to wait for the BO to get home so I could ask her for help. During the wait I thought about what had happened and I kept staring at the saddle. I decided to take off the saddle and went and got the other saddle I had started riding him in and changed saddles. It looked better then and Apollo was more relaxed, but I was too nervous to get back on him.
When the BO got home I asked for help and they wanted me to put the other saddle back on him. I did and they said that the saddle didn't fit him anymore. So we put the other saddle back on him and they helped me get back up on him and everything was fine again.

I was really embarrassed that I could have prevented that fall, but I learned something that day; never second guess yourself, if you feel something's wrong, maybe something is wrong. :|

Here he is now, I'm so glad that I didn't give up and sell him when I thought I couldn't handle him. :) We're going great now.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Most painful fall was a long time ago when I was about 17, was riding a friends horse at her pony club and since I had been taking lessons somewhere else and had begun jumping she decided to set up some jumps for me in the arena. She set up a double jump but going into it I didn't have enough control and he just went for it. Sailed over the first and I had already lost my seat, over the second and I was off. Foot caught in the stirrup and dragged for about 10 metres until luckily? he stood on my leg and my foot came loose. Knocked the air right out of me and took awhile before I could breath again - very sore leg but nothing broken. 15 years later still got the dent in my shin and sore scar tissue, probably should have had it checked out. The only good thing was that so many people were watching that after that a rule was put in place that no non members were allowed to ride on pony club grounds. Hopefully I saved a few people from similar falls :)

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I had a fall rather recently, on my own horse that I know well. Horse tripped then decided to bolt, surged forward a stride, dropped his shoulder twisted and slammed on the brakes. I gently summersaulted (have a very interesting upside down mental snapshot of the moment) over his head, into a nice soft pile of freshly tilled dirt. Horses started to take off (I was holding the reins) I was not about to let go and screamed at him. He stopped so I let go to get up and he wandered away. Got up was ok, a little sore but normal. Got a little more sore and dizzy (nerves) both my parents were watching (ugh, I don't think I've ever fallen off in front of them!) so my horsey mom came over to help. I got back on had her walk with me and walked around a little then put him away. I was planning on working the other two but a pain in my back got worse and worse rapidly. By the time I got off I could barely walk then went across to the barn, decided to just lunge the one. Could barely turn to lunge him. Gave up and decided to go home and not even stay.

Excruciating hour+ ride home. Had the music blaring and singing along loudly to block out the pain, and shifting my weight every 30 seconds. FINALLY made it home. Staggered in and collapsed (attempted to) on the bed. Unfortunately lying down didn't make a different. I took a HUGE amount of meds and an icepack and attempted to pass out. My back was sore but no matter how I moved it didn't get better. The pain was going all over my body and down my leg. The next morning it was OK. I limped into work and had to tell people I fell of a horse (yes, my own, not a schoolie) (no, he didn't dump me, he's a dead broke ranch horse who decided to be a turd and didn't really do much) (no, it was an easy fall) (my leg is fine, it's my back) sort of a pathetic day, I needed help with pretty much everything.. but dramatically better than the previous night. Worse after work, better the next day, etc. Lots of pain killers later.. and it did come back from time to time with any stress. First time riding was sore for a little but then went away and have been fine since.

I must of pinched a nerve or something. I really wasn't hurt, but the pain was excruciating. I was just lying on the couch trying not to cry, and I never do that. It got better so dramatically but overall lasted so long and my back was weak for awhile. Such a stupid fall too! I wish I had an exciting story! Most of my "falls" have looked cooler, I usually just slide off and land on my feet. Hasn't happened in a while though, so I guess I was due for a bad one.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My most painful was undoubtedly the one that landed me in hospital - 4y/o TB mare (my first horse) bolted, I came of over the left shoulder, and that's all I remember until I opened my eyes and saw a paramedic leaning over me. I blacked out again until I got to the emergency room at the local hospital and I woke up as they were starting to cut off my clothes.

Most embarrassing... that's a tough one, because I always seem to fall off in front of people! There was the fall almost onto a trot pole during a lesson, the time I almost fell on a barbed wire fence after my friends' parents and siblings had just driven past (along with people in another car that I didn't know) and yet more people that saw my horse trotting riderless down the road. But probably most embarrassing was when I was riding in to a team penning event. Semi-trailer drove past, my horse leapt forward, I tumbled off into a chain link fence, bounced off to the top of the embankment, and then rolled down to hit the fence again. My mother insists no one saw, but I'm convinced at least some of the competitors did!

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
I haven't really fallen that much...What's funny is Selena is the horse who has tried the hardest to get me off, and yet she hasn't succeeded. lol

I fractured my finger this summer though. I had started a colt a year ago, she was five now, and a nice little mare. I was alone, and technically the owner prefers I not ride alone, but they were late and I had to leave. So I did my groundwork and went to get on. I trusted her. Well that little ***** just started shaking right as I put my weight in the stirrup to get on, and took off in a bucking mess. Threw me right in the dirt, and of course I caught myself on my hand. I rolled and got right back up and RAN after her in that round pen I was so mad. I don't tolerate that kind of crap, especially since that mare knows better.

I later got a bunch of crap for it, and spent the next couple months trying to heal my poor finger, which still aches every time I use it too much. I had fallen before that, but I that one really stuck with me.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was riding a little 10 hand pony (mind you I was 14 and about 5'5) in the winter and decided to ride out in a field alone. He had other ideas though... He kept trying to turn back to the barn and I tried to make him stand still and not let him turn. So he started doing little 'pops', just half rearing... I was able to sit through it no problem. Then he decided to do his interpretation of a reining horse spin, and I slid off into the snow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it's online you just click the paperclip when you're posting and put the link, but if it's a file I think you just upload it?
Ah ok thanks..I will give it a go!

The video is quite long so fast forward to just after 2:30..just after the jump...keep in mind I have not been riding for long so its still work in progress!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most embarrassing fall was in front of 20 odd students and their parents when I was 16. I'm fairly short and was riding Lenny, a 13.3hh grey welsh cross. He was well known for his dirty moves with the students but hadn't given me any issues in the 3 months I'd been riding him.

This day, we'd finished the lesson and had some free riding time. I rode Lenny toward a 2 foot jump we'd been over a few times and the stinker stopped dead. Did I fall off then? Oh no, he waited until my backside was back in the saddle and then jumped the jump causing me to pop off him backwards. Apparently I made a perfect arc before landing square on my back lol.

I made that pony jump that jump again before putting him away. Found out the next day I had minor concussion and whiplash.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
HunterJumper - wouldn't really call that a buck, more of a bunny hop but, some of those can catch you in the wrong place and ditch you.

Had far to many falls to really say what was the worse. I was left hanging by the seat of my pants off a show jump cup when a horse did a really dirty stop. Best part was that everyone was laughing to much to come help me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My worst fall was when I was mounting up and while I was launching onto the pony she spun around and took off towards the barn. I fell and got dragged onto the concrete. Bruised my tail bone pretty badly but other than that I was fine.
I've never gotten seriously injured riding a horse but was ran over by one and tore my ACL :/

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.