Votes: 4 40.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been to a clinic in ages, I have not had a lesson since last year when my coach retired. I got both this weekend! Had a private lesson with the clinician who is also a judge in North America for open, quarter horse and paint, she was also a coach for a friend of mine that moved up here. The clinic was full but my friend called me and said the coach will be stopping by at her place to give her a lesson, she asked if I wanted one, HECK YEAH! Wow, top calibre stuff, and the best part was she said I didn't suck!!! The second day of the clinic someone dropped out, so I filled the spot. And we did the trail course with ease, just got coaching how to make it more "greasy", worked on some horsemanship stuff as well. At the end, the clinician rode Otis, she had judged him about eight years ago and pinned him as provincial champion, she said he looks super cool and she would like to show me some warm up things she would do with him. Then I had to make sure to get him back because she was ready to take him home with her, lol. My friend will try to get her up here once a month starting in the spring again, I am so happy!

IMG_20190915_143700.jpg

IMG_20190915_142433.jpg

IMG_20190915_141739.jpg

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
Tell us some of the things that you 'learned', specifically. Usually, at a clinic, I am overwhelmed with info, but if I can take home with me 2 or 3 points, I feel it was worth it. I have done more auditing of clinics than participating. I actually get a lot from auditing, and spend way less money.

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Otis is pretty willing to do anything, but I seen her having people get off their horse and lead them through the obstacles, breakdown the obstacles into each step. For me, we have a term called "greasy", which means do everything with flair. When you move his hindquarters only his hindquarters move, he has to stay collected at all times, disengage and engage all body parts separately, when he goes to the water he has to stay collected and straight, when climbing obstacles get to the top with all four feet on, hesitate, head down to the next level, stuff like that. Otis's nemesis is ground poles. He does something called trail by Braille, meaning he just ticks them a little, lol. I learned how to set him up and how to lift his ribcage so he doesn't do that. We loped, trotted and walked over poles and he rarely ticked unless I got the striding wrong. When she got on my horse, she showed me how to do yoga with him, just a series of warm-up exercises to disengage and engage all body parts and get him more "greasy". At the rocking bridge, he has to hesitate at the center, take a step and then wait for the bridge to go down and then carry on. Going around rocks and trees he has to curve himself around my leg. All sorts of little things that gain you points in a course.
IMG_20190916_115244.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.