The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone, post your favourite mounted game and describe it. Maybe even pics of you doing/playing it. :)

Gillian. :wink:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bella and I LOVED hurry scurry (they may call it something else in other states/areas)... CGA (california gymkhana association) describes it as :

Go through timing line and either go down left side making two jumps, a right turn around the pole and 1 jump, or go down right side making 1 jump, a left turn around the pole and two jumps, then go back across the timing line. Special penalty: The rider will be disqualified if all four feet of the horse do not go over each jump and the course is not corrected....

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you DisneyCowgirl1901 . That sounds like a very interesting game. :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
We do horse soccer. Lots of fun for the horses. I used to do medieval gaming until my horse grew out of his horse trailer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh? What do you do with medieval games? :)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
There are a bunch, running the Quintain (jousting practice), running the rings (where you have to get as many rings on the end of your lance that you can), running the heads (where you do a pole bending type of pattern and knock the heads off the poles with your sword); those are just a few. It was a lot of fun. Solon just outgrew his trailer and I couldn't go to anymore events.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. :) Any more? You have to have funnnn sometimes! :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I saw this game at the fair last year that looked like alot of fun and pretty challenging. It's the keyhole event. They make the pattern(pictured below) in powder in the arena sand. You run down into the keyhole, turn around, run out, and cross the finish line without stepping on or outside the lines. It was very fun to watch, I'd love to try it.

Attachments

Reactions: Roux

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw this game at the fair last year that looked like alot of fun and pretty challenging. It's the keyhole event. They make the pattern(pictured below) in powder in the arena sand. You run down into the keyhole, turn around, run out, and cross the finish line without stepping on or outside the lines. It was very fun to watch, I'd love to try it.
That looks like great fun! :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i love keyhole !! & my horse is really good at it =D

i have no clue what this game is called, but we used to play it for fun in PC. you get a board & nail balloons to it & then carry a stick & canter past & try to pop a balloon. then you pass the stick off & the next person tries to pop a balloon until on team has popped all of their balloons =]

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Some of the mounted games I used to do when I was in 4-H:

Pole Bending
Barrel Racing
Keyhole race
Rescue race - you are at one end of the arena, your partner is at the other standing on a barrel. You race to the end, pick up your partner and race back.
Cowhide race - you are on the horse your partner is laying on an old cowhide that you have to pull to the end of the arena and back. Lots of fun ensues when you make the turn at a run at the end of the arena your friend goes flying off into the dirt - er... I mean the other teams does that! The variation is that you start on the horse, race to the other end, get off, switch to the cowhide and your partner pulls you back.
Dollar race - you ride bareback with a dollar bill under your thigh. You have to ride all the gaits and if you lose the dollar bill, you're out. Last one riding wins all the money.
Egg race - you have an egg on a spoon and you have to walk, trot, gallop without dropping the egg. Lots of fun when the egg breaks on you or horse. NOT!
Flag race - you race to the end of the arena where a flat is in the ground and race back with it.

I've got some others but that will give you some cool ideas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of the mounted games I used to do when I was in 4-H:

Pole Bending
Barrel Racing
Keyhole race
Rescue race - you are at one end of the arena, your partner is at the other standing on a barrel. You race to the end, pick up your partner and race back.
Cowhide race - you are on the horse your partner is laying on an old cowhide that you have to pull to the end of the arena and back. Lots of fun ensues when you make the turn at a run at the end of the arena your friend goes flying off into the dirt - er... I mean the other teams does that! The variation is that you start on the horse, race to the other end, get off, switch to the cowhide and your partner pulls you back.
Dollar race - you ride bareback with a dollar bill under your thigh. You have to ride all the gaits and if you lose the dollar bill, you're out. Last one riding wins all the money.
Egg race - you have an egg on a spoon and you have to walk, trot, gallop without dropping the egg. Lots of fun when the egg breaks on you or horse. NOT!
Flag race - you race to the end of the arena where a flat is in the ground and race back with it.

I've got some others but that will give you some cool ideas.
Wow! Heaps of games! :) Thanks, lol. They look fun. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Flag race! I love the flag race! Lol hehe. I like mug race too, and pyramid, and ball and bucket... and tyre... and bending - I love them all! XD Off to a mounted games training practise tonight :D

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If there are a few riders you can play "follow the leader" and can make this as easy or challenging as the ability of the riders. I was in an arena once with 3 other riders, 2 youngsters and one adult, all fairly green and they didn't know what to do and thinking that 4 of us going every which way could be disaster, I suggested this and they loved it. Following another horse gave them a direction and some goals to achieve that weren't too difficult and as they got better at it we started to do some drill work, 2 going in one direction and 2 in another and doing figure 8's and change diagonals and 3 loop serpentines where we crossed the center in opposite directions. It was fun and they wanted to know when I would be riding again so they could be there at the same time.
Another thing is little obstacle courses and make up a pattern to follow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.