The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our barn owner said she'd give me some free lessons in exchange for my husband making a mounting block for her. He did. He showed it to me and it's really nice. Then he's like, "I wanted to use a really dense wood so it wouldn't get messed up from the elements, so I used walnut." Now, I know walnut shavings are not good for horses. But for a mounting block, where at most the horse might occasionally scratch itself with it, would that be OK? She wanted one she could put out in the pasture (where there are horses) and I'm thinking THAT might not be a good idea, but just having it inside to be used for mounting would be OK. Thoughts? I'd hate for him to have to re-make it.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Yeah, I think it would be fine, so long as a horse isn't left unattended with it. If you leave it in the tack room, or in the arena, and bring it out when you need it, I would think you would be fine.
That is just my opinion though!

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have walnut trees on my ranch. The horses have never bother with it. I have noticed that if there's a water through under a walnut tree and it rains, that water will turn dark brown and the horses will have nothing to do with it. So, it would seem like on their own, they leave walnut alone. At least my horses do.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
Personally, I would not take the chance of putting something so nicely made in a pasture situation to be chewed on regardless of the kind of wood constructed from.
If the B/O likes the look, keep the walnut one for you to take with you to your new property and instead make another of untreated pine...yup, will not weather well but you also aren't running a risk of horses bored chewing on this new thing sitting in their barren pasture....
"Look guys a new play toy for our mouths to explore".... yea, no.
I'm just not understanding the purpose of keeping it in a pasture.... :unsure:
I get mounted to ride in the pasture...I also get mount up outside the pasture and have someone close a gate behind you.😉
My horses raked their teeth over my plastic mounting step when we forgot to put it safely away one evening...now it has teeth stripes.:rolleyes:

I am unsure if the issue with walnut is also eating it, ..:unsure:
I know it is standing in remains of it, aka shavings/chips, that is the danger.
I know no way would I willingly take that chance if avoidable.
🐴....

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
I've got an idea! give it to me! . Just kidding.
yeah, wouldn't cedar be a better choice for exposure to weather? I'm curious to see it. My husband made me one, many years ago, and over time, it rotted. Sure was cute there for awhile, tho.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm...tricky. I may not leave it out in the pasture with the horses (just since I know my girls tend to be accident prone) but as a riding arena block I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all!

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
It would be absorption of the toxic compound that causes issue. A scratch from bumping isn't an issue. Eating the mounting block is.
Contact that is prolonged through a highly vascular area is.

I'd say if it is sealed, out of the weather and kept where horses aren't loose with it it would be fine. Left in an arena or pasture where horses are unsupervised and may try to eat it - no.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts