The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I am a short little thing, only 5'1, and I'm sorry but I seriously doubt I will ever be able to jump high enough to mount a 16 hand thoroughbred bareback from the ground, much less any of the draft horses I love to ride. Would climbing a tall fence and mounting from there work? (that one seems sort of dangerous). Should I build one of those custom mounting blocks that is more like a platform with wide stairs? Help?? Will I have to stick to short little Mustangs and Quarter Horses for the remainder of my days?? (I'm being over dramatic. But seriously. Please help.)

·
Banned
117 Posts
You are not alone; I am about 5 feet 3 or 4 inches (1.6 meters) and my horse is only about 15 hands and I can't mount from the ground bareback.

Mounting apparatuses are your friend.

I mount from fences and walls all the time, and I've never had a problem with it. However, I have been told that is dangerous, but I can't remember for what reason.

Mounting block are nice. I don't know what you mean by "custom mounting blocks that is more like a platform with wide stairs" or why you would need one, unless you need one of such width. Height wise, I think most general mounting blocks are good enough to mount most "tall" horses.

You can also try mounting from stump or downed tree logs, especially if you are on a trail.

If you have a friend, they could give you a leg-up.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Anything you can scramble on.

Mine is 17.2, I'm not very tall. Even with a saddle, I need some help getting up. Fences, trailer hitches, bumpers, tractor tires, trees, jumps, gates, strategically placed hills.

Some might be less safe than others. Just make sure your horse will stand and your footing is solid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.