The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue that really bothers me, I see it constantly. It is dangerous and bad for the horse. It puts pressure on the wither and pulls on the back. It also pulls the skin under the cinch. It can cause an ill-fitting saddle to shift to one side causing trouble for the horse when the rider tries to correct by leaning the opposite way, or worse, doesn't even notice and the saddle remains unbalanced. It can cause muscle damage, bruising to the wither, and even injure the spine.

This is an example that shows what I mean:
Before putting weight the saddle is positioned correctly
mountone.JPG

After putting weight, you will notice that the entire saddle has been pulled to the left
mount2.JPG

The most comfortable method of mounting, which applies the least pressure, is by placing the left hand on the lower neck or wither, and the right on the midsection of the seat or the far side of the cantle. Inserting the ball of the left foot into the stirrup. As you mount, you use the left hand to balance, and the left hand to pull along with hopping to gain momentum before pushing with the left leg. This ensures that the pressure is distributed evenly, and is easier on the horse, the rider and even the tack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great post.

This is also a fab way of twisting and damaging the saddle tree.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have to ask what happens when they try to mount with an english saddle
I'm considering posting a similar thread for mounting English style, to which the equivalent would be holding on to the pommel by grabbing where it clears the wither.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Great post.

This is also a fab way of twisting and damaging the saddle tree.
if that damages your tree your not out much and your horse is much better off.

I use the horsn to mount but I never use the cantle. I place my right hand on the horn and my left hand holds the reins and the mane. i then balance myself and step into the saddle. i have mounted a horse without the cinch done up and the saddle doesn't move so I tend to think it is not very uncomfortable for the horse.

The worst part of the way the woman is mounting is that when she has one leg in the air over the horses back she has to let go with her right hand.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
This is actually a far bigger issue with English mounting then it is with Western mounting. I am failing to see how you could possibly twist a proper Western tree mounting this way. It may uncomfortable for the horse, but I tend to think it has more to do with the larger woman struggling to mount then it does actually grabbing the horn. A Western saddle is set up and designed in such a way that pressure would be evenly applied across the right side of the horses spine.

If you are a rider you requires the horn to pull yourself up, it doesn't matter if you're grabbing mane, you're still going to twist the saddle because you haven't learned how to solely use your lower body to mount. If you are an experienced rider, then grabbing the horn shouldn't matter because you wouldn't be exerting any force on it anyway, merely using it for balance as your legs did the work.

I essentially mount the same way kevinshorses does. My left hand holds the reins in front of the saddle, and my right hand will either hold the cantle briefly or grab the horn as I get my foot in.

Due to the design of an English saddle, I will NOT mount in one without a mounting block. I am a heavy person, and regardless of how quick and effeciently you mount, an English saddle is not designed to have that sort of force exerted on it. The vast majority of English riders should be mounting with blocks due to the design of the saddle.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Mikolaj, very informative. The way you describe your mounting technique is very similar to the method I mentioned as a good technique. I did not choose that lady because she is bigger, that has nothing to do with it, she is in fact an experienced rider, her size is no excuse for improper mounting techniques.

I brought this up for the exact point you are making, mounting solely with your lower body is not correct either. It places all the weight into one side of the saddle, exactly the same as pulling yourself up using the horn.

The method (for both english and western) I am trying to promote involves all four human limbs. The left arm, balances the rider and is used to push without using the tack, the right arm, is used to pull (or push depending on the height) simultaneously with the left leg, this minimizes the pull on the saddle and the horses back, and the right leg, is used to push off and aid with momentum. It is a very balanced method for both the horse and rider.

Mounting blocks are an amazing tool, but they are not always present and even if they are, knowing how to mount correctly is still extremely important.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
When I mount I grab a bit of mane and the reins with my left and and then with my right hand I hold on the back of the saddle and get up into the saddle. I'm getting better each time I mount. It doesn't seem to bother my horse at all.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Oh and I don't really pull too much on the saddle. I like to think of my right leg as a spring and bounce up and lift...make sense?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The problem with holding the cantle with your right hand is that you have to let go to swing your leg over and if your horse moves then you will loose your balance. If you put your right hand on the horn then you maintain contact through the entire process. If you are getting on colts or riding problem horses then it is even more important.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
The problem with holding the cantle with your right hand is that you have to let go to swing your leg over and if your horse moves then you will loose your balance. If you put your right hand on the horn then you maintain contact through the entire process. If you are getting on colts or riding problem horses then it is even more important.
thats what i was thinking when i read the post.... i havent ever really had a lot of experience witht that kinda stuff, haha :lol:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
if that damages your tree your not out much and your horse is much better off.

I use the horsn to mount but I never use the cantle. I place my right hand on the horn and my left hand holds the reins and the mane. i then balance myself and step into the saddle. i have mounted a horse without the cinch done up and the saddle doesn't move so I tend to think it is not very uncomfortable for the horse.

The worst part of the way the woman is mounting is that when she has one leg in the air over the horses back she has to let go with her right hand.
This is how I mount also. Left hand on the mane and right hand on the horn. I do not like to have my hand anywhere to the rear of the saddle. You have to let go to finish mounting. Not good at all.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Never really thought about it. I concur with the point made about the larger woman struggling to get in the saddle being more damaging than the mounting method. I also use the horn or the pommel when mounting from the ground. I have no idea if I out a hand on the cantle or not, it's a very rare occurrence because I personally hate mounting from the ground and will walk a decent ways to find a stump to help with the process. I understand if you're on a trail and you've got nothing to climb on, but even finding a hill to position your horse on to give you higher ground is beneficial. Even when I mount from a mounting block, I don't use the stirrup, I just kinda swing my leg over, still managing to land softly on her back.

·
Registered
798 Posts
oh. I always mount that way. oops!:oops: not any more :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I always use some sort of block. I am not the best of mounters and I know very well that if I mounted a 17 hand horse in a jumping saddle without a block I would probably give some torque on his back and unbalance the saddle. One block I use is a two stepper. The other is a three stepper and then a fence rail, both of which I can simply lower onto/move sideways onto the horse more than step up and absolutely no pressure is placed on the left stirrup or his back. In some situations where there is no block, I have gotten a leg up which seems to work pretty well. Those pictures make me wince. I think that even if she had a strong core to get up there (which is not evident), her legs are simply too short to not put a lot of pressure on the left stirrup when getting up because she has to lift higher. A random tip for English riders: every few months, pull both your stirrup leathers off and check how long they are. If the left one is significantly longer, chances are you may be putting pressure on when mounting.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always mount with a mounting block :oops:
I am learned to use my left hand for grabbing the reins and a piece of mane, never the horn.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I ride mainly English but in any style you should use a mounting block and never pull on the saddle

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Does anyone have any additional tips for how to mount the right way? I unfortunately was always taught to mount holding onto the horn and cantle..then someone told me that I shouldn't do that without explaining why, so I tried to figure out how to mount correctly and just couldn't..do it. I felt awkward and imbalanced and practically fell over. But now I feel really guilty for the harm I've probably caused to the horse I rode =(

Nowadays I always mount with a mounting block because my horse is just too tall and I am just not that flexible..so I don't twist the saddle at all when I mount this way. I still hold the horn but am only really pushing down on it, not pulling it sideways at all. But I can't figure out how to do this right from the ground..could anyone give a step by step guide for dummies? =P

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have really strong leg muscles, so I really don't have to use the horn at all. I grab on to the horse's mane place my other hand near the back of the saddle. I use the mane to pull myself up(no..it does not hurt the horse at all. lol ) and throw my leg over.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.