Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We are currently in the process of purchasing a 40 acre property near Raton, NM. and am seeking out any guidance, or thoughts on the prep, building, footing, suppliers, and recommendations for Hoof care/farriers in the Colfax County area.

We currently have three horses in Cave Creek, AZ., 2 have been boarded the majority of their lives, mostly fed free choice bermuda hay, recently alfalfa cubes- easy keepers and are not blanketed.
The other raised 7 years on Timothy pasture acreage in WA. and 1 year in AZ.

The property has Grama Grass, but am not sure how thick, and has city water and river access.

We have to build the barns, turnouts, covered arena, round pen, feeders, waterers etc..

Given the climate, soil and temperature change from AZ to NM. would love insight from anyone who lives in this area or surrounding counties-Taos, Santa Fe, Espanola.

We plan to add 4 more horses in the near future and may build out for more in the next 5 years.

Most importantly am needing advice for a farrier. I have one I trust who is a journeyman, and comes from a family of farriers that work on sport horses, eventers, Baroque Dressage, Quarters as well as ours. One has club feet and gets special shoeing, one has low heels, toed in, barefoot and the other is perfect conformation currently barefoot.

Also any thoughts on forage suppliers for this area would be welcomed.

Thanks for reading!!!

Cheers, kj :D

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I lived in Tijeras, NM for 3 years which is quite a ways south of Raton. What I found where I lived:

-Without irrigation there isn't a whole lot of pasture, mostly just a bowl of dust with a few scraggly weeds/cactus. 40 acres and just a couple of horses you might avoid that. With irrigation you can have quite a lush pasture and put up hay for the winter.

-Lot of people out there buy drill pipe, saw to cut the pipe, tape measure and a portable welder to make their fencing. I've heard drill pipe has gone up in price so that may not be the best option anymore. But if drill pipe is still reasonable you'll build a truly horse proof fence that will likely outlive you.

-Bucket water heaters are a must during the winter, it gets darn cold. Also means you have to protect your water pipes and use frost free valves.

-It's dry most the time but when it gets wet it gets darn muddy in a hurry. Best be prepared for those mud times as it will happen.

-Coming from Pheonix this likely wont surprise you but it did me. New Mexicans can't drive in the rain so be prepared for 10mph on the freeway, there are no ditches along the roads so water/mud/rocks run right onto the road in places.

Can't help at all on anything specifically about Raton, sorry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.