The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, okay, so, I've looked at some of the forms here, and I couldn't find one on this subject.

My mare absolutely hates moving her shoulder over. I can get her to pivot on the haunches for a 90degree turn but after that she steps out/moves forward and this really hurt us in showmanship.

Under saddle she will take a step then either start ignoring the cue, and backing up/walking forward.

She is a VERY sensitive mare, but she can also become dead sided/totally ignore you if she doesn't want to do anything.

She's gotten better with lunging(before it took 10 minutes to change directions because she didn't want to, she has gotten better with that, no issue)

On the ground when I ask her to pivot, I start walking into her for the turn and cluck, and if she doesn't (I normally do this with a small crop) I tap her on the shoulder and slowly increase the intensity of the tap, and by this time we have turned probably 45degrees, and then she starts to walk off, and I check her and back her up.

Under saddle - i put my left foot on her and contact on the right rein, put my right foot back to "close that door" and my left rein on/near neck but she starts turning on the forehand...even though the cue is different.

So any help/advice would be nice!
Have any of you had this issue, and if so, what did you do to correct it/teach?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would first suggest that you make sure you are rewarding her for EVERY step she takes.

Horsemanship is a 2-way street, and sometimes it's easy to simply blame the horse for their faults without realizing that they are trying to communicate something to us.

So, when you aid her on the ground to step away, reward immediately with a release of all pressure, then maybe walk off a little as an added treat. She'll begin to realize that the work is always rewarded, and to feel that you are listening to her and taking concern for what she feels. Next time, ask her to move over, release, then ask again. The full 360 will come when she knows that every time you ask, you will unfailingly reward her :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.