The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I am so happy my coach will finally move me up to 60cm this week after my last competition this weekend. I have jumped 60cm once in my previous school only because they just make you jump there. I don't really know the reason why my ex coach just kept raising the fence. Vertical fences used to scare me a lot but I must say I am more confident now. I actually told my ex coach to not raise the fences just because I can jump 50cm on a course exercise. I was not comfortable which I am glad he did.

Anyway, my new coach told me that she thinks I am ready for 60cm. On my previous competitions I made a lot of errors even if I was winning. My errors included long reigns , can't recover fast enough after a jump and hands too strong or high. On my last competition last week and the week before, I have improved so much. I can feel it and I can also see it on my videos. Winning 1st place and sub champion for the cup over the weekend meant so much because I can feel that I have improved a lot. Winning 1st on my very first competition felt like it was just luck because of my mistakes. This time it feels like I deserve it more.

So, how did you know you were ready to move up a level? How did your coach know when to move you up a level? What was your experience? Please share!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would if I was confident and my horse was too. I do eventing so fitness and good flatwork are always essential before I consider moving up. (dressage scores in the 20s) It is always exciting but not a huge deal because I and the horse are ready to move up. My trainer and I take our time moving horses up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would if I was confident and my horse was too. I do eventing so fitness and good flatwork are always essential before I consider moving up. (dressage scores in the 20s) It is always exciting but not a huge deal because I and the horse are ready to move up. My trainer and I take our time moving horses up.

Thanks for your reply! I think eventing is more complicated than showjumping because you need to do different disciplines like dressage. I have not learned dressage but it looks complicated for me as your supposed to ask transitions in a subtle way or aids shouldn't be obvious? No clue but for me dressage looks awesome but maybe one day I will try it when there's coaches available in my area.

·
Super Moderator
14,676 Posts
I have not learned dressage but it looks complicated for me as your supposed to ask transitions in a subtle way or aids shouldn't be obvious? No clue.....
What you said is very true no matter the discipline ridden, the saddle used...
Subtle ways and aids shouldn't be obvious is a perfect description.
Quiet, refined moves astride...no one should be seen as a flapping arms and swinging legs but soft, fluid and quiet controlled movements used to create a harmonious picture of horse and rider working in unison and as a team. Regardless of you jumping fences, cutting cows, reining, doing dressage or anything...
Not sure of where you are exactly in Mexico, but some of the world's finest riders have come from that nation so ....the learned individuals are their to teach and educate those looking to further their riding hobby.
🐴... jmo...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts