The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pony has what appears to be mud fever across her heels. However it is the heat of summer and there is absolutely no mud anywhere. What's up? The scabs are big and soft, they crack showing red raw skin underneath. She is not lame neither does she object to be gently prodding. Is this mud fever? If so, how come its there in summer?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Are her heels white? Sometimes it is a photosensitivity issue. If this is the case, something she is eating (most likely and endophyte, fungus, on the grass) is triggering a reaction on non-pigmented skin. Get her off whatever pasture she is on and feed her hay until you have either mowed or sprayed the pasture. You also need to keep her out of the sun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woah, she does have white heels! And its only on the white ones too. The condition started, then we moved house. Will be interesting to see if being on the other side of the country improves it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How am I supposed to keep her out of the sun? I don't exactly have a covered yard. Would smearing sunblock on her heels help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.