The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My barn has a lot of mud right now, is that harmful for there legs? I read an artical in HI a while back saying that it is good to let the water tank overflow some so that they have to walk in it to get to there water as it is good for there hooves. But how much is too much? Its REALLY muddy and they have a big barn to go in but still. So, is it harmful? theres not really a way to keep them out of it but is there anything I can do?

thanks,
tcg

·
Registered
470 Posts
It cannot harm them if it isn't for TOO long I think..

Definitely check their legs and hooves to see if you can notice any changes :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You should try to wash the mud off and let them dry out at least a few times a week and pick out their feet every day. Standing in mud for too long can cause problems like scratches/mud fever and thrush. I think that article was referring to summer time when the opposite problem of dried out hoof walls seems to occur.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
We have mud everywhere, too, with the weather this year. It won't hurt them, but do watch out for bacteria/fungus problems. Many old timers around here put iodine on the soles/frogs as a preventative measure. Watch out for sprains, too...many horses love to play in the mud (we have a 'mud baby') and, with the bad footing, sprains are more common.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We live in a very wet area and have allot of mud right now. I don't like my horses standing in the mud and having no option to get out of it. Make sure they can get some relief from it and ask your farrier about any thrush or fungus. My horse has had 2 fungus issues so far so I have had to switch between using coppertox and thrush buster and 1 time my farrier dug out some of the fungus and I have had to medicate his foot and wrap it with duck tape and all that fun stuff. I also bring my guy in to his dry shaving filled stall on really wet days. And pick pick pick those feet clean ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
In MD, we have been having some bad luck with weather this year. First, too much rain and second, and most reccently, too much freaking snow.

He is on 24/7 field board. I have not had any problems with fungus, or thrush, or bacteria, or anything else for that matter. Everytime I go up, I always check his feet, pick them out, and wipe off all mud from his legs.

The only problem so far, and it wasn't even mud related was a bruise on his left hind leg. It was from the ground getting hard, then soft then hard, then soft. Freaking weather.

Your horse should be ok! Mine has been doing just fine. But I guess each horse is different.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
It isn't going to hurt them if it's just for a short time, but it's definitely not good to let them stand in it for days with no relief. We have the same problem at my barn, and I just keep my guys in their stalls if worst comes to worst. They can get thrush, among other things, from standing in cold mud too long. Weather permitting, I would rinse their legs off frequently and be super vigilant about keeping their hooves clean and checking for thrush, abscesses, etc.

My horses don't like being cooped up in their stalls, but at least they get a break from the mud and have somewhere clean and dry to rest and I take them for walks frequently. Sometimes even when it's chilly, I'll hose their legs in warm water and towel dry them really good, then just keep them in the barn to get them out of the wind. Plus I clip their legs from the knees down in the spring so I can spot any "owies" easily.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! I pick out there feet everytime I go down there but that is still only every other week or so(I don't have a way to go any more often) in the winter :(. Umm, I have another question, I am teaching my little gelding to jump, should I wait until it dries up? I've only done it once so far and that was in the snow. We are ust going to be doing trot/canter poles right now. Is that okay with the weather?

thanks,
tcg

·
Registered
52 Posts
I second Tealamutt! Watch for mud scald/mud fever/scratches (all the same thing)...if you horses have any kind of nick or cut, the more time they spend in the mud, the chances of them getting mud scald is greater. Bacteria from the mud gets into the nicks and causes hard scabs which in turn can cause lameness (by the way of swelling).
Plus..too much wet can cause thrush.
Establish a routine of washing and drying their legs when they are turned in and picking their feet! Being proactive is the best defense!!

Good luck! sarah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.