The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse is 15 and we barrel race. I posted about amino acids but most seem to think that is a waste of money. What supplements could I give him to help support muscles? He is in good shape but I would like him to be more muscular still. I consistently ride him at least a few times a week. I just started some hill work with what I have available and we do ground poles as well sometimes. I mainly long trot and lope circles.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a 14 year old gelding that if I try to get him muscled past what his genetics will support he just gets fat. I agree with the others who already posted much of it is genetics with how much a horse will muscle up.

I trained and sold a barrel horse a few years back who was the fastest horse I have ever been on, bar none. I sold her to a professional barrel racer who runs consistent money winning 1D times on her to this day. Incredibly fast horse but no matter what you fed her she never did muscle up very much, she just had genetically sleeker muscle structure. Just goes to show that visible muscling isn't what it takes to get in that 1D winner circle. A lot of it is just how fast the horse is and how well it can maintain speed through tight turns. Genetic body mechanics plays more of a role in it than visible muscling does.

Here is a picture of my one gelding, and this is as muscled up as he gets even with 100s of miles of riding on him. This was about a week after a competition so he still has his number sticker on his backside but you can see his muscle structure the best in this pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I have a 14 year old gelding that if I try to get him muscled past what his genetics will support he just gets fat. I agree with the others who already posted much of it is genetics with how much a horse will muscle up.

I trained and sold a barrel horse a few years back who was the fastest horse I have ever been on, bar none. I sold her to a professional barrel racer who runs consistent money winning 1D times on her to this day. Incredibly fast horse but no matter what you fed her she never did muscle up very much, she just had genetically sleeker muscle structure. Just goes to show that visible muscling isn't what it takes to get in that 1D winner circle. A lot of it is just how fast the horse is and how well it can maintain speed through tight turns. Genetic body mechanics plays more of a role in it than visible muscling does.

Here is a picture of my one gelding, and this is as muscled up as he gets even with 100s of miles of riding on him. This was about a week after a competition so he still has his number sticker on his backside but you can see his muscle structure the best in this pic:

He looks nicely muscled to me!

You have to remember that a lot of those heavily muscled Quarter Horses look that way because they have a genetic defect, not because they are fit and exercised. The horse above looks lovely!

Now if a horse is lacking muscle because they are thin (I see that quite a bit on the internet!) I really think alfalfa does wonders for a horse. But I don't see the original poster's horse so I have no idea. But AndyTheCornbread's horse looks perfect to me. :smile:

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
Barrel racing will muscle up some places, and others will just get hollow. For example, if your horse is throwing up his head, and pulling upward or pushing his neck outward (the bottom part of his neck) against the tie down, he will become over muscled on the underside of his neck, and under muscles on the upper part, and the area in front of his withers. Is this what you are seeing?

could you post a photo of your horse?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Like others have said it has to do with genetics on how muscled up they get. My gelding is not older he 6 years old. Working 7 days a week 6 ridden days one lunging day.

He's not super muscular looking but its just him. This picture was taken other day had just taken off his blanket.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
COULD be genetics. Could be what @tinyliny is talking about. Hard to say without a picture.

An example of genetics is that spotted booty on the right. My horse IS fit, he is in excellent shape in terms of strength and endurance. He has speed to spare, no trouble with climbing out of creeks or crossing any terrain, but he LOOKS like he could blow away with a good gust of wind.

Vs.

AJ the propane tank. She has muscles on her muscles.

I've seen up close and personal two barrel racing bred fillies, half sisters, and both are muscled up completely different, DESPITE the same food, training, owner, and rider - my best friend's fillies. They are a week apart in age and are coming 3 year olds. There's a distinct difference in their build and musculature.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts