The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Black Stallion series!!, Misty of Chincoteague Series!! those are fantastic. uhh black beauty. and i am sure they're are others.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Think harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt, The Faraway horses by Buck Brannaman, True Horsemanship through Feel by Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond, and True Unity by Tom Dorrance. Be prepared to use your brain because these were written by horseman not writers and the concepts they talk about are quite complex. If you stick with it and study it untill you understand it your horsemanship will positively change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Theres this book by Mark Rashad called Considering the Horse its a book of his life and training i could not put it down!!RECOMMEND

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Mark Rashid has several books that are pretty good reads. Ive read A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color and I realy enjoyed it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I havent read that one but i would like to. You just gave me something else to look for on ebay im addicted (ebay) writing it down lol

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm an Ebay addict as well! lol its just not feesable to go to the overpriced stores here. lol
Thank you everyone i've got a good start!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'm an Ebay addict as well! lol its just not feesable to go to the overpriced stores here. lol
Thank you everyone i've got a good start!

I've been to Rozet. I think you mean overpriced store right?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ROFL, well... we don't even have a store. Just an elementary school, cafe/bar, post office and a few trailers down an...adult bar... In that order.
Id be happy with a store!
We have to go to Gillette and everything is way overmarked.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Chosen by a Horse. I forgot who the author was, but its a true story and had me in tears. Its about how a broken horse healed a broken heart. Its a great read.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Horse Heaven By Jane Smiley
True Horse Stories By Steve Miller
Heartland Series
The Truth About Horses

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
anything by dick francis !! he has so many books & they are all very good. they are mostly racing mysterys =]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gidji Im reading Chosen by a Horse now (literally right now haha) but it is really a great book strongly recommended. Written by Susan Richards and its a national bestseller!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Riding Lessons and Flying Changes by Sarah Gruen are worth the read as well. Anything by Marguerite Henry should be decent. They're pretty simplistic, but good light reads.
I second The Black Stallion Series.
I also enjoyed My Friend Flicka.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Sara Gruen is an EXCELLENT writer. She wrote Water For Elephants. One of the best reads every. I have Riding Lessons and really liked that one too.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not sure if you can buy them online but a trilogy I really liked was

The Connemara Whirlwind
The Connemara Stallion
The Connemara Champion

by Ann Henning
They were really funny, although it's been years since i've read them, so probably children's books.

Also Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. You can tell she was a true animal lover.

I used to read the Heartland series by Lauren Brooke when I was younger. I used love them.

I liked Monty Robert's books Shy Boy and The Man who Listens to Horses

Also the Flicka books by Mary O Hara were good

The Red Pony by John Steinback

The Horse Whisperer by Nicolas Evans is supposed to be really good. Plan on reading it sometime soon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.