The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. We are buying a new horse this week from someone we know. First time having a mustang, so I had a question in regards to the certificate of title. The lady had purchased the horse from a trainer in California, but I don't know who the trainer was or anything about them. She was given the application for the certificate along with the horse, but never filled it out. Is that something we can fill out when we get the horse or will there be problems because it has yet to be filled out?

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
I'm unsure what a "mustang certificate" is.

My kids had six blm horses when they were young. We got a bill of sale for each one when I bought them. Yes, I bought them from a blm contact trainer, not adopted.

I also got a brand inspection, required in my state, at time of purchase.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I don’t know if it will be an issue or not. You might have to ask someone at the blm office.

When you ‘adopt’ a mustang you have a year before you are allowed the title @boots . At the end of the year there is paperwork you have to send in to have the horse transferred over. It requires a visit as well for the signature to release the title. This can be done by a blm person or a vet...

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You will need to get a picture of their freeze brands and send it to the BLM and inquire with them. They can tell you if and when the horse was titled, how to get them titled if not, and they can get you a copy of the title if they are (Sounds like they aren't yet!) (Which is what you mean by certificate - BLM horses are titled, just like a car or truck, and if adopted, the adopter will not receive a 'clean title' on the horse until two years IIRC have passed... it might be just a year, I can't remember and I'm not dragging Whiskey's paperwork out to find out. LOL).

If she never titled them, BLM will need to facilitate a transfer to you as the new owner, but you cannot get a clean title on them, if she's not sent in the paper to get them titled, without the BLM's intervention, any way you slice it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.