The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a Kiger with an amazing jog and a horrible lope.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My BLM Mustang has a rough canter but a dreamy trot because of his conformation. While I can't do anything about the way he is built, I have been able to help him develop a little smoother canter just in the last 4 months or so.
Try teaching your horse to trot slow, then medium, then a nice extended trot. Somewhere in there you'll find one that is more comfortable to both of you. As you practice it more, the muscles will get stronger and the gait will feel less choppy. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
My guy is very short strided at the trot, it's about like trying to ride a pony LOL. And he's so smooth that there's no momentum to carry me out of the saddle to post. If I post on him, it's my muscles doing all the work.

I agree with Boo, work on the different lengths/speeds of trot and you should be able to find one in there that is mostly correct.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What HMA did your mustang come from? Different herds have different breed influences which may explain the choppy stride.
Not sure which area he came from, I just know he is from Nevada! His trot when he isn't under saddle is very floaty and beautiful, but under saddle it is very choppy and less fluid! How do I get him to slow it down?

·
Registered
264 Posts
My mustang has a dream walk, trot, and lope. But it might just be because of her great conformation.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
If you look at the brand on his neck it will tell you the herd management area he came out of. I can read it if you post a pic.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will take a picture once I clip that part of his neck, his fur has grown out so you can't see the brand right now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.