The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts

Thoughts?
Advertised as a mustang, asking $30,000.
Great all round horse
4yr
Does western and English
Jumps up to 3 and half feet and has more opportunities to jump higher.
Loves to go on trail
Great personality, very loving, love to hangout with people
He rides with flags and jumps with flags
Desensitized to plastic bag, gun shots 45 caliber and 22 caliber.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is the same horse posted on an earlier thread for $45k. No mistake. Scammer.
Well shoot! I was thinking about going into business training and selling mustangs.

Here's another on equine now for $16,500. Likely also a scam? You'd think equine now would know about it as they are the main avenue for selling horses on line, or one of the main ones.

Edit: Yup, that looks like the same horse again.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Here's another on equine now for $16,500. Likely also a scam? You'd think equine now would know about it as they are the main avenue for selling horses on line, or one of the main ones.

Why do you think this particular one is a scam?

I don't think it's shocking for a 12 year old that competes training level eventing with the capabilities to go to preliminary is being sold for $16.5k (especially at her size if she is appropriate as a child/teenager's mount).

Just by searching "Training level horses for sale" in EquineNow there are listings anywhere from $6-25k for a training level eventer, depending on experience.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you think this particular one is a scam?
Only bcause QtrBel said the first one was a scam and the second looked to be the same as the first, to me at least. I could b wrong. Did you compare them? What do you think?

It is a lot of money but if they won that much stuff, I could see them going for that much to people that were well funded. I remember the horse carrying the camera man and electrical stuff on the video unbranded went for $25,000 at an auction. That was shown on the extras on the CD.

So I just don't know. I assumed the first one was real as equine now seems to be an up and up place but QtrBel says not. Maybe she'll come back with a word or two.

·
Super Moderator
15,914 Posts
I was coming to say the same. Older horse, already campaigned and suitable for child/small adult. That is in range for what they claim and the photo backs it up.

Now is it a Mustang? If from reservation lands I understood them to be wild/feral horses without the designated protection of the BLM. The person does not understand how ancestry DNA works - there is no percentage determined. They are identifying the markers they test for and assigning probability based on several factors. Does the horse have that breed somewhere in its ancestry? Likely. Is it a cross or recent cross between the breeds they list? No. It carries that marker. Does it carry the traits that go along with that marker? Could be, considering its accomplishments.

·
Super Moderator
15,914 Posts
The first is the same horse offered a couple (?) of weeks ago for $45k. 4 years barely? Maybe? That much mileage on them if true at that age would have me running the other direction. Also same horse listed for lease for $300 dollars. 2 rides a week.

Could be a teen that has no clue but does have big dreams or someone very out of touch with the horse market. Considering they went from 45,000 to 30,000 - they aren't accidentally adding a zero. Scammer? To me until I saw the second lease add I certainly learned that way. Adding the lease, could still be scamming as they added the color and a name but now sounds more like a young teen.

I didn't look twice at photo when $45 but now closer look - front boot is coming off, ridden in knotted rope halter. Can't tell if a bit is attached or not. Can't figure out what is going on with back end and extra leather straps hanging. Makes it look like photo shopping is going on.

I am not getting link to work but if you go to Equinenow and for location put Trabuco Canyon, Ca in the search the horse in your OP @trailscout comes up and directly under that is same horse fof lease. The $16.5 is a totally different color and a different location.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You would think for 30k we could get a video and a few more photos...oh well!

You know, I'm really starting to disbelieve this whole DNA thing...this is the second horse I know of that has had Hano and Selle Francais in their breeding--and I'm just really not buying it...

I guess you can't say that it's impossible--I will concede that...but so unlikely...

·
Super Moderator
27,662 Posts
I just did a quick google of that horses name and was able to find tons of show photographs and information on it. The fact that it is a proven show horse and is 14.2 alone kicks up the price.

Only bcause QtrBel said the first one was a scam and the second looked to be the same as the first, to me at least. I could b wrong. Did you compare them? What do you think?

It is a lot of money but if they won that much stuff, I could see them going for that much to people that were well funded. I remember the horse carrying the camera man and electrical stuff on the video unbranded went for $25,000 at an auction. That was shown on the extras on the CD.

So I just don't know. I assumed the first one was real as equine now seems to be an up and up place but QtrBel says not. Maybe she'll come back with a word or two.

Reactions: Knave and egrogan

·
Super Moderator
15,914 Posts
Palfrey have to look at what the ancestry test is actually telling you. They test for markers that are present and using probability based on the reference material they report the top three. It is not a percentage based result. It simply says that horse breed is somewhere in the background. Not how close it is.

Even if you send what is considered a pure bred horse you get three breeds listed. They report based on the material and would most likely show that particular breed as 1. In the case of breeds like QH where they allow TB you would likely see QH, TB and Barb or Arabian. A Paint would come up the same.

In an area where those breeds or breeds based on those breeds (sport horses or ponies) is common then not a surprise. One of the ponies at a barn I know came up with similar but it has sport pony breeding. Not a surprise knowing that. They all come from somewhere. The mutt could literally come up with any breed in its background depending on how the markers are passed down.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I just don't get how a "breed" of horse that has an open book, so not purebred, can be used as a genetic marker?

I'm not sure how the genetic markers can single out Hano, Selle Francais, Holsteiner when they all share the same genes. I would think these breeds would come up heavy TB.

I guess it's confusing to me because I would think they would use core breeds (that have had closed breeding books) as your base genetic markers--Arab, TB, Spanish etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,914 Posts
Tx A&M only used markers for 50 breeds common to North America. The breeds chosen had distinct markers (profiles) for that breed that were stable and passed. They only used breeds that were likely to be in the ancestry of horses here in the US. They did not use anything that was not stable due to introductions of other breeds or mixed breeds (like the Mustang) nor did they use rare breeds as they would not be here in sufficient numbers to account for any significance. They did not use Paint or Appaloosa due to the open nature of the registry but QH was included as there are distinct markers that are stable even with the inclusion of TB crosses as appendix. Purebreds purebred meaning that the horse is registered as a specific bred and has a traceable ancestry ( I would think QH would be an exception here because TB is an allowed cross) should have their breed listed as 1st. 1st Generation cross where the cross is known and resulting from two registered animals would most likely show both of the crossed breeds but the more breeds that become involved then there is no way to say x or y breed was the breed used to get your horse. The only thing you can say when you have an unknown breed horse that you test is that those are somewhere back in the mix not that they are what was mixed. Those breeds that have significant TB in them will likely show that as one of the top two. Or like the warmbloods will show it in the top three somewhere. It isn't a percent of breed that is represented. That can't be stressed enough and that is what most assume and start claiming when they get their results.

·
Registered
920 Posts
My brain can't handle it! LOL! See, how I understand it (does not mean it's right, just opinion) is that if they can't use Paint or Appaloosa, on the basis of the open nature of the registry, then warmbloods should not be used as well. A purebred TB can be approved Hanno--here is an introduction of another breed into this registry. I would think Appaloosa would be a much better genetic marker than any warmblood. I feel like it's like putting goldendoodle as a breed marker for dog DNA tests. Just my thoughts...

·
Super Moderator
15,914 Posts
They would not be a Hanno just approved as as an animal that improves the breed. Similar to QH - a TB can be used and the horse designated appendix until it earns status. Both have distinct gentic markerss that tell them apart. Same for a Hanoverian it is an established breed with a distinct profile. It doesn't matter that 400 years ago there were several breeds used to cross and develop type. Once the type was set then that profile becomes prepotent and the profile is passed. Their book is closed to other breeds. If you had a hanoverian crossed with a TB then in a test as one and two you would see Hano and TB or TB and Hano. The third would be from one of those breeds from back when it was being established.

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
MODERATOR NOTE

Please look at the date of the last post before replying to threads. Threads that are more than a year old will likely not be relevant.

If you have a question or comment on a topic found in an old thread, please start a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.