The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my mustang who is still growing. In the first pic, the pasture is a bit of a slant, so her extreme slope of back it's actually natural ;) she's a bit downhill but not as pronounced.

She's almost 3, but I was wondering if anyone could point out some major conformation flaws she wont grow out of, stuff that I could work on with lunging work to fix anything.

(And this one is the evolution of Nike's trot in the 2 years I've owned her... only the bottom picture is recent.)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Overall I like him. Nice shoulder, short back and kind expression. As far as faults he looks sickle hocked and something about his right hind pastern looks strange, but I think he might just be standing. Hip is a touch short. Neck looks tied in a bit low and the neck is thick, but not ideal to assess from this photo. I like what I can see of his front legs. His head looks big for his body, but I think that is pretty common for mustangs.

In all of the photos he appears to need his feet trimmed. He looks to have long toes and under run heels.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
As last 2 pics are a funny angle & front-on, maybe not accurate, but she appears a bit 'parked out' as if she's trying to keep the pressure off her toes. They do look very long, esp the hinds - Hinds should generally be steeper but 'conformational' probs can cause them to be less so - the low tailset may be OK or may be due to her pelvis being out or some such, which a good vet chiro may be able to treat. She also looks narrow chested, again may be 'conformational' or may be postural or due to something 'out' that a chiro might fix. Good idea to get those type things checked & treated if poss while the horse is still immature.

I wouldn't be doing much lunging, esp on such a short rope, with such an immature horse. I'd also hold off riding at all for a bit & only light riding before 4-5yo. Other exercise, the more the merrier!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.