The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a good video they can point me to that would help me do a mustang roll? I've googled it and watched many, but, I don't know, I didn't feel like any of them really showed me in a way that I could understand. I try to do it, I rasp it and then change the angle of the rasp and rasp it again, but it never looks like a curve. It looks more like a slash. It's terrible. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it's obviously something big. I need someone to really dumb it down for me, and explain things really slowly and clearly, LOL.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't really find a "mustang roll" to be so crucial.
The main issues are: Is your breakover in the correct place? This is important on the bottom surface of the hoof, not the top. The hoof needs to roll over beginning at the ridge of sole in the toe, so the wall needs to be rounded away at that point.

How the outer wall is rounded near the ground only matters in that it does not have sharp edges to cut the horse or break off jaggedly on rocks. You also want a consistent width around.

You can round it by either going vertically over the edges, or horizontally. I find it easiest to put the hoof on a jack and run the rasp horizontally back and forth around the edge, filing until it feels rounded and smooth to my hand.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@gottatrot thank you, I actually saw those posts last month and they were SUPER helpful. There was a lot of basic info that I hadn't found on other sites, where they seem to assume that you've already been trimming hooves for a while but are just looking for a new way of thinking through it.

I am pretty sold on the mustang roll, though. From Pete Ramey's explanation, I think it might really help my guys.

As for breakover, yeah, I need to work on seeing that for sure.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
A radius rasp can help make a really nice roll easily. I have one.

Here's another good article.
https://scootboots.com/blogs/blog/how-to-do-a-mustang-roll

I've read some reviews of the abc hoof trim. They advocate using parameters that supposedly apply to every horse, which has led some horses into issues.

My opinion is that it is better to apply broader scientific principles such as those in the Essential Hoof Book rather than trying to make ratios and angles work on every horse.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
https://cdn3.volusion.com/odtb4.gh29t/v/vspfiles/photos/RR-1-2.jpg?v-cache=1425385070

I have the finer radius rasp but I'd rather have the coarser one to see results quicker.

If you prefer using a regular file, I'd suggest if the edge is not rounding the way you want that you may need to move it around to more different angles as you rasp. Also go up and down on the lower 1/4 or so of the hoof wall as you round it off.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
@ACinATX , if you would care to indulge me a bit, I am curious how you'd define or explain what a mustang roll is based on your understanding of what you've read.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ACinATX , if you would care to indulge me a bit, I am curious how you'd define or explain what a mustang roll is based on your understanding of what you've read.
I can't put it into words, I just know it when I see it, LOL. It's what Pete Ramey puts on horses.

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
A 'mustang roll' to me is simply to bevel the outer edge of the ground surface & prevents/minimises chipping etc. Depends a bit on what footing as to how much needs to be done, but generally little. I was confused why when Patty Stiller joined that she was so vehemently against it. But seems in her experience, a 'mustang roll' meant the entire (or large degree) of the thickness of the wall had been bevelled away. I agree that that is not for the best.

Perhaps AC you're confused by what you've seen because flares or stretching are being addressed at the same time? As that's common, it may be that these people are doing that at the same time but only talking about the mustang roll? Or something...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Where does Pete talk about a mustang roll? I must have missed it.

Too bad my earliest posts were lost with the forum change over. I had my 'own" mustang roll thread started. Lots of good discussion. The term meant something to me then, but now it really has no meaning to me.

When I first started it seemed like mustang roll was everywhere. Om my gosh! I gotta do the mustang roll. I remember Patty Stiller saying something about how many horses had their feet harmed by people trying to do a mustang roll. I didn't understand then and too bad I didn't ask her to elaborate. I did not realize at the time just how much she knew.

Here is Hondo's foot before and after what I viewed as a mustang roll.

Hondo Left Front September 27, 2014.jpg

Hondo Left Front October 25, 2014.jpg

I don't even thing about the "roll" now. I think about where the coffin bone is and where a line drawn down the front and sides would exit the sole. That is my trim guide. I want the foot to be able to tilt forward 10-15 degrees without anything in front of the breakover touching on smooth firm ground. At that point, almost all or even all weight is off the foot so it won't matter after that.

All that extra roll is just for those that think it's pretty. Doesn't help the horse at all.

I'm pretty sure Pete R. would agree. I've been reading him and watching his DVD's since those pictures were taken.

My my, how time does fly.

·
Super Moderator
22,839 Posts
People often confuse 'rolling' the toe, as in that second pic above, with just beveling the edges. And I gleaned from Patty that it is a very common problem, over there at least. Taking that second pic, it's a great eg of what I meant, if it is to that extreme all around the foot. At a guess(of course, all could give from that one pic), I'd say the 'mustang roll' at the toe was probably adequate for good 'breakover' there. But imagining that pic shows the sides of the foot, 'rolled' to that extent, that'd be very excessive. And that was what Patty was thinking of as a 'mustang roll', and why she disagreed with it. I remember saying something like, I agree, that if that's what a 'mustang roll' is, I don't believe it's a good idea either. So lets call a light bevel(what I do) a 'brumby roll'

So... to your second bit above, 'all that extra roll' - if it's excessive - I agree it's not helpful. Potentially harmful too. But if you ride on rough footing for eg, you'll know that taking the sharp edges off is absolutely helpful.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I also think going just a little higher than ground surface level when rounding off the edges can be helpful if you're not able to touch up between trims.

Anything higher up is not helpful to the horse, but as the hoof grows down several weeks the edge may lose its roundness and chip off on hard surfaces. For me it is just easier to round it off again at that point.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
To elaborate in hopes to clear any confusion. The second picture was taken about two months after joining the forum back in 2014. I had no idea at that time what or where breakover was or why if I did. The second picture was taken about two months later from trimming based on "pictures" on the net showing a mustang roll which I had erroneously decided Hondo absolutely must have.

That was a few months before Hondo actually came into my legal ownership. He was in my care and I was being evaluated as to whether we were a good fit. I actually had to get clearance prior to going in the barefoot/boots direction, just like I had to get clearance before I used a bitless on round ups.

That was six years ago. I do not and would not roll like that at all anymore and have not for quite some time.

Hope that's all clear now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts