The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 328 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
I do pull a lot of sleds in the winter, but to be honest I don’t know how I’d do it with an English saddle... The person on the end of a rope gets pretty heavy, and wrapping ropes around a person is always a bad idea. ;)

I didn’t know this was your journal!! I am glad to be subscribed.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
She is so pretty! You really take some great pictures too.

We finally got enough snow for everything to be blanketed, and my littlest girl was loving taking out a tube last night and playing. I guess I will have to break Cash to pulling... he is struggling still with ropes though, but it will be good for me to start working more on it before next spring when he’ll have to be able to use a rope.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
I have only had thrush in a horse once. It was because I put him in a smaller corral to try and diet him. It was super soggy and there wasn’t a lot of moving around. I eventually cleaned it up with borax, but I felt very bad for him.

We don’t usually have much problem, I think because it is often very cold. Usually if it is wet it is frozen and things don’t usually get soggy. Our horses spend winter barefoot, and I try to keep a good roll on them to keep from breaking up.

I wish I had something of value to add. I’m sorry about all of the sog. @SueC I am sorry about the fence. We never have large ones, and sometimes even then I cannot find the stupid weed or whatever is making the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
I just had to laugh about “teething problems.” Here is something to give you guys a laugh. Cashman is teething. I found this out a couple different times going to bridle him. So I decided to take a look at his mouth after he dropped this second bottom tooth. If this isn’t the most hillbilly set of teeth you’ve ever seen... lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
Well, he’s just a baby despite his massive stature. I wonder how big he will end up being...

Anyways, he just a couple days before lost the two very front bottom teeth, and you can see the big adult teeth coming in. On the top it is just a mess. I can see the two adult front teeth, but it is like he has another miniature tooth in the front of the adult tooth as well. It seems too narrow to be the old baby tooth. That is why I called him a hillbilly. They really are a bit ugly of teeth in any case.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
That is the greatest thing that I have ever heard! I laughed so hard my littlest had to come over and read your post. She laughed too.

We had a mouse, chipmunk, and vole problem two years ago. Big problem! Like seriously when I was outside two different times I looked down to have them simply standing on my foot. When little girl was gone for 11 days, she came back and we saddled the pony and the whole saddle blanket was soaked. Really, the whole thing.

I decided I’d rather have a cat problem. I looked around for kittens. I found several. Now I haven’t seen a rodent or signs of one in over a year. One of the cats is so brilliant I have seen him go down holes looking for squirrels!!! They drive me crazy sometimes, but they are not nearly as destructive as the rodents.

I have seven cats. That is a lot of cats. I probably would have been fine with four.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
@egrogan I also have a very old cat. We got her before we were married! She has been with us for almost 16 years, and she was not a kitten when we got her. She also would have killed a kitten in her day, but in this day she is old and does not seem overly preoccupied with the comings and goings.

She was my boss’s cat at an Arabian ranch. She hated her. Skittles was terrible. She was nasty mean to all of them, but whenever I went to pick up my boss I played with her. She asked if I would take her and I said yes.

The first night she bit my husband’s face in his sleep. He threw her across the room and into a wall. Their relationship stayed along those lines. We had to warn company when they arrived because she would attack them from behind the couch.

We worried when we had babies, but she was kind and tolerant of them until they became about two. She then thought they needed discipline apparently, and she would knock them down as they toddled around.

In the background however she was a spectacular hunter. We lived in some terrible places, and in one she piled mice up at our bedroom door every night. Eventually she always cleaned out the mice. Even my husband owed her respect for what she did for us.

Then, when she got old, she couldn’t attack everyone anymore. She decided that if offended she would pee in the person’s dirty clothes. We tiptoe around the crazy old bat. I love her to death, and she is the queen.

We have allowed a new house cat this last year. He is awesome. He is tolerant of all of us. Lol. She doesn’t mind though. She mostly maintains her position on my bed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
Zeus thinks you may need help breaking ice, and he’s your guy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
Blame his frustration and yours on cabin fever. It will all look better once the seasons finally change. This winter seems to have hit everyone hard. The moisture is such a blessing, but it doesn’t make us long for spring any less. It will make a beautiful spring though, and it will feel cheerful.

My friend was in an article recently. She was talking about the seasons and how each seems to come right when you are ready. I think that is so true! Each season for me is met with gratefulness and left the same.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
Lol! That is so perfect! Towards the end of this month we will have to be working again with horses, and if the ground is still bad and fresh horses I am going to be so irritated with horses! Lol. “Why are my horses so young? Why are they so bad? Why am I doing everything wrong?”

Then will come April work and it will be busy. So, the horses will be less fresh, but early snowy mornings will still feel like “Why do I own these particular horses? I need broke horses? Why are all of our horses so young right now? Seriously, you have to be good!”

Then will come May where everything will start to come together, and summertime will be just a lot of fun riding. Fall will be full of work, where mostly the horses are pretty good and at the end someone will be saying, “You know, the horses are getting pretty good. We could probably use another colt.”

Hopefully this year my answer will be, “Then you get a colt! I’m ready for the eventual broke horses!!!”

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
There is chew stop @Avna, and there are other things too to stop that on the fence. I think @JCnGrace was the one who told me about soap on trees! I don’t think that would probably be nice in your sap though. Lol

My mother had a horse she was winning a lot on when I was little. Tuffy was his name and he was a great all around competitor. Anyways, after a big show season winter started and he was on time off due to weather. The way the fence laid you could not see that he had taken to chewing one of the boards from where he was fed or caught or the house. He went to eating that board and got a sliver in his stomach I guess. It killed the poor guy.

I have seen lots of other horses chew boards without such a terrible end result, but I always worry just because of that. I’m sure it was a rarity.

·
Premium Member
7,394 Posts
@egrogan it was a sad story. I think I remember it so well because although I was small it was a part of a longer story. The morning the horse was dead they were scheduled to leave for vacation. After debate they decided to continue on with their trip, but it didn’t leave them time to bury the horse.

Dad hooked him behind a truck or tractor and pulled him out into the brush, but he had to go down the road to do so. When they left she saw the bloody drag mark down the road and was devastated.

They went on vacation and when they came back the old neighbors (a depression era couple, very nice but with that mentality) said that they followed that trail and cut the horse’s hindquarters off and fed him to their cats and dogs. My poor mother was mortified.

I think dad laughed and I remembered thinking it was no different for the horse, but my mother wasn’t happy.

I hope your ride is lovely!

1 - 20 of 328 Posts