The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Do you mind sharing his thoughts on both? I got Renegade Vipers for my MFT mare because their customer service was the most helpful in telling me what size to get and they had a 20% off sale for Black Friday (our farrier only knows about shoes and barefoot) but my new Arabian gelding will need something once I get his feet trimmed correctly and I'm on the fence between both. (I haven't actually had time to use the Vipers, I got them in December and our rides have been too short and on snow to try them out yet).

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hmm. I ordered mine myself from the website because of their 20% off deal and we tried them on Daisy and they were way too big. I found on their website how to adjust the cable and it was kind of a pain but not too bad. I like the quality of them, they seem really thick and comfortable for the horse. I have a pair of easy boots I use on my quarter horse and I'm not a huge fan of those.

Maybe I'll give the Scoot boots a shot for Jake. I like the look of them a lot and they do seem easier. Apparently the moral of the story is get by with what you can during the year and then buy all your replacements on Black Friday!

I asked my Green Bean group what they use in the footwear category. 3/5 of the group has over 100 Endurance miles and one of the girls has over 600 and won the heavyweight category for our division last year so they're pretty smart about this stuff.

Forgot to mention, I'm not a barefoot freak either it's just quite hard to get farriers out on any sort of reasonable schedule where we are so I only worry about shoes because I'm not sure I can guarantee a reliable schedule. We're on our 3rd one in the past year, thankfully I think he's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
OMG So exciting! I'm so jealous of 200 acres! We have 7 (and are buying 1.33 more in a few weeks) but I would kill to have that much land! That's so cool to already have met new horse people! We got super lucky with a horsey realtor when we bought our farm whose brother owns the local tack store and growing up worked in his parents riding stable. He's been more helpful then anyone could ever dream of! Don't worry about having your girls at home, the vet is always just a call away and it's way more worth it to get to wake up to them outside and get to see them whenever you want!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Go for the ride! I'm doing a 12 mile novice the first week of May that we've barely been able to get ready for due to the snow! We haven't gone more than 5 miles and that was all at a walk. I'm hoping the next few weeks get a little better and we can get some more work in but if not I figure they can just kick us out if we're too slow and I'll try again later in the summer!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We tried to take 3 horses to an arena down the road to do a little cattle sorting last night. DH's mare Stitch and my Arabian Chico are awesome at loading and never have any issues but we wanted to take Jake our newer Arab with us. We tried and tried for an hour with every method we could think of and he wouldn't get in. We were already late so we gave up and put him back out in the pasture (which I hate doing) so I completely feel your pain. We're having a trailer practice night tonight....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Ugh sorry your boots aren't working!

We gave the Renegades a true test this weekend on Chico at the 12 mile novice ride. Not too much mud but a lot of sand with trotting and cantering and they stayed on great! If you keep having problems with the Scoots it seems like people seem to sell them easily for close to purchase price on the book of faces and then you can give a different brand a shot...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Wow a 3 day 100 mile ride! I would be so worried about what happened to that one person who rode all 100 miles and didn't finish. One of our rides has a 2-day 100 but you can also do 2 days of 50 each. Not that I'm anywhere near that level (nor do I have a horse that is) but I think I would much rather do 2 days of 50 than one 2 day ride. At least then if you don't finish the second day you still get credit for the first day.

Izzy is looking much better!

Yay for Fizz and finally getting a long ride in! You guys will be doing rides like crazy next summer! I wish I had trails I could access from my house!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We just purchased the garage and our riding arena that are at the front of our property and the garage has the same rotting ceiling/mouse/ick problem so I understand 100% (unfortunately)!

Sorry about Fizz, glad Maggie is doing well! Does she still have a few intro/LD/similar CTR's in here for you to get a start on next year?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I hear you on your rant! Our house had been without horses for 2 years as well, advertised as a horse property, and all of the stalls and the run in shed were knee deep in fossilized poop. It took us days of masks and ice chippers and power washing to get it clean! Why would you ever leave your house like that when it was for sale?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I know easyboot has a bargain bin of different discontinued styles with boots that are around $35 if by chance Maggie might fit in them? Otherwise are you in the Hoof Boot Exchange/Endurance Tack Sale groups on the book of faces because they often have cheaper used boots. Probably not as nice as your Scoot Boots but would work to take miss Maggie out for fun around the house without spending a fortune!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts