The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thanks for explaing that! English shepherds sound very suitable. I love the trail pictures with Hugh and Kestrel in them, they look like they are having so much fun! When we were taking lessons, Nicki and I used to ride the trails around the property with the BO's labrador pup and I think it made a difference for Nicki.
We have a 13 year old lab but he doesn't move too good anymore and he was always a mama's boy so even in years past he never hung out with Nicki and I.

It may be time for a new dog soon and I appreciate your feedback!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
@knightrider I have read some of your stories and you have had some sharp ups and downs.That would have been a tough loss indeed. I am glad you made it through and are carrying on.

@egrogan that is a sad, unfortunate story. Understandably, you are shaken. That will always be in the back of your mind when you ride on roads. The road I ride on has some busier times and I avoid those times just for that reason. Here's something to distract you from negative thoughts: we might be getting an English Shepherd puppy! We contacted a breeder in VA who just had a litter of pups and we submitted an application!! They emailed back and said we sounded like a good home.We are waiting to hear some good news! We had done our research and after thinking it over, decided that an English Shepherd would be a good choice!

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is Amish country so most drivers assume the horse will not spook if they even think about it at all. On my little dead end road, I have encountered all kinds,from people who crawl past to those that don't pay any mind to us.

The roads are dangerous for driving on ,too. I suppose you have to pick as safe a time and place as you can and then just ride...defensively of course.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Here is a confession... when Nicki is ' up and jiggy' ,maybe 'prancey' is more accurate and I am sitting deep and balanced and saying "take it easy", sometimes I will enter into a poor rendition of the eagles song ,"take it easy". It only lasts for a couple verses and it never works . I would be totally embarassed if anyone heard and saw us. I'm not a fan of their music but I did stand on a corner in Winslow,Arizona once

1 - 20 of 40 Posts