The Horse Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 3415 Posts

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Hugh does love the snow, but I think he’d love it even more with a doggie friend.
Friends do make everything better!

Kali would have gone back in the house a lot sooner if Kestrel wasn't running around like a fool, which of course enticed her back to play more. I keep warning Kestrel that before long she won't win the tug games, but I suspect she will always be faster and more agile.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,384
Snow. Cold. Frozen poop. Repeat. That’s pretty much it for us!

This is the state of the snowbanks along the public road as of this morning. Behind it, you can sort of see the gate and fence for the new field. I’m guessing it will be...April? Before we can get in there again. And just a month ago I was riding there. Sigh.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,385
Weather was pretty nice yesterday- sunny skies and no wind made 20F/-7C feel nice. After Fizz finished off her afternoon nap, we went out for a handwalk along the road.

I was just starting to think I could have ridden instead of walked it, when her hind end nearly slipped out from under her on ice. Guess walking was the right call.

We're expecting another 10" of snow tomorrow...fun times.

More renovations happening inside, this time upstairs. The old bathroom up there has been gutted, and above the ceiling, there were some interesting treasures. Check out these very old beams and the remnants of very, very old hand cut wooden roofing shingles.

Can you imagine having wood bark shingles on a house that takes on as much precipitation year round as this one?

I wonder how often shingles had to be replaced? Or how sharp your ax was to cut them to size?! I really do love old houses and the stories they can tell.

Finally, some comedy from Hugh Malone showing off the "English Shepherd pose" and a very silly protruding tongue while he was deep in sleep.

Doesn't take much to amuse us these days :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Our old home is an old cabin and a house cabled together. When you go into the attic you can see the original shingles - and our beams are trees with the bark still on them. Frustrating when doing renovations but really cool to see what they used way back when!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,387
@carshon, during the downstairs part of the project, all the walls in the kitchen had the old pine beams with bark still on. I loved seeing it! I guess you used what you had. Your house sounds fascinating- how much of an age difference is there between the cabin (assuming that's the older part?) and the house that was joined to it? Are the shingles you found wooden too?

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,388
Izzy nearly gave me a heart attack tonight at dinner. She was finishing her evening meal (soaked beet pulp, senior, and ration balancer) while I was cleaning up in front of the sheds. She always takes her time, but today at both breakfast and dinner she seemed a little irritated and dumped half her food while eating.

Anyway, I heard her take a big drink and looked over because she started coughing immediately and violently. In seconds, she was spewing liquid and soggy grain out of her mouth and nostrils (and, weirdly, out of her bum for good measure). She hacked big and deep three full times, and then stopped. I ran over to her and massaged her neck but didn’t feel anything hard or stuck, but after the three hard coughs she seemed fine.

She choked seriously enough to have a vet out 6 or 7 years ago, but never since. What happened tonight almost seemed like she “got water down the wrong pipe,” like people do sometimes. Can that happen to horses too?

She acted fine after, running around, interested in hay with no issues. So I think she’s fine, heading out now to check on her again. Horses!!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,389
Postscript-she was happily munching hay when Hugh and I went out to check, and even politely gave me the peace of mind to take a nice, long drink while I hung out their evening hay nets. She looked like her perky, normal self. Hoping we dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I hope so too! I personally have been super lucky and never had a horse choke (yet, please don’t jinx myself). It seems like it would be possible, or maybe a minor start of a choke?

Bones has been coughing. He has a virus, and Zeus seems to have a bit of it too. He’s much more stoic about it, but his eyes are a bit goopy and he seems a little depressed at times. Dang horses!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It could be she was gulping down her food. My Tillie has choked 3 times in the last 2 years. twice needing vet intervention and once she cleared on her own. She tends to be a "gulper" and I am watching her soaked beet pulp etc now as the horses know it freezes fairly fast and they are all gulping it down

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,392
Thanks for the support! I do believe the first choke all those years ago was gulping hay cubes that had not been properly soaked. I watch her very carefully while eating and she really does take her time. With the quantity of soaked beet pulp in there, everything is pretty soft and I don't think she tends to take big bites and swallow- but given the condition of her teeth, including missing a few molars her chewing is compromised.

I've been fighting a balance with her food all winter- I'd like the feed to be a little soupier than it is (right now I'd say it's moist but not soupy) but it seems like if I cross over a threshold of "wetness" that I can't precisely define, her manure gets very loose and watery. I've been experimenting with different levels of wetness in the beet pulp and it has helped her manure stay more solid and well formed. It's definitely not dry when fed (and I feed SpeediBeet vs. pellets or shreds, and the flake that SpeediBeet comes in is puffed and wet within just minutes of being submerged in hot water). But it could be a lot soupier if her digestive system could take it. This morning I poured a cup of warm water over her senior pellets and ration balancer before mixing in the wet beet pulp, so we'll see what that does to her manure. Didn't notice anything different about how she ate it.

My gut still says she took a weird drink of water, but I guess I'll never know.

@Knave, hope your horses feel better!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,395
Izzy seems to be ok and hasn’t had any similar incidents, fortunately.

Earlier in the week we were unfortunate enough to get an evening of sleet and freezing rain, which left our 3 ft of snow crusted over with an impenetrable layer of ice. In most places, it was thick enough to support my weight without breaking through it-behind the sheds, the snow is piled up so high I could actually touch the top of the roof standing on top of the snow.

Unfortunately it’s not strong enough to support the horses’ weight, so now their options for moving around are even more limited. Poor Fizz got chased over a hay pile and flung herself forward into a snow bank, where she was almost fully stuck. It was actually really scary watching her try to get out of this position once I realized she was struggling and not just standing around.
BF93A125-0B96-40CE-B2ED-0620B6402AC1.jpeg

It was like she was trying to get out of a mud bog, flailing around to try to get her footing while also trying to launch back to solid ground. Especially scary was how her front pasterns kept knuckling over because the icy crust was resistant until she could get her full weight over top of the foot to break down through. I thought I might have to try to dig her out (with no idea how I could possibly do that), but she struggled ungracefully for a minute before getting back onto the solid ground of their walking path.

Yesterday was farrier day. With the ice, the entire path from the turnouts up to the road looks like a luge track (you can see how icy it was backlit by the house last night) and the road itself was also treacherous.
So farrier kindly agreed to trim them out in the paddock on the flat(ish) spot in front of the shed. Everyone was cooperative, and I got him a couple of good VT beers for his trouble :) Glad we still were able to get them trimmed, even though there was not much growth.

And to top all that off, we’ve had another 5 or so inches since we went to bed last night. This winter just won’t quit!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I liked it because you wrote it well, but I didn’t actually like it. That sounds awful. I am sorry.

We don’t have nearly the snow that you do. It really hasn’t dropped any particularly heavy amounts all winter.

Thanks for the good wishes for Bones and Zeus. I think the new baby, sent to my parents in trade for the roan horse, brought the illness. He was sick when he came, and I’m surprised it traveled from their home to mine in wintertime, but it must have somehow.

They seem to be doing better, they are less snotty for sure. We’ve been gone over the weekend, so maybe they are completely better now.

·
Registered
17,231 Posts
Poor Fizz getting stuck! :( Aww, that's just horrible. I really hope mother nature calm down for your sake - that's so much snow, plus ice! What a mess!
We got some snow & sleet here today, but like 1-2in, max. I really shouldn't complain even though it's icy here, because it's nothing compared to what you are dealing with. So sorry it's definitely a rough winter! I hope you don't get anymore snow, OR sleet! It's not fun for you or the horses!

I'm glad the farrier was able to still come and do them in the pasture though, & they were well-behaved! :) Good girls! Beautiful eye shot too!

3381 - 3400 of 3415 Posts