The Horse Forum banner

3581 - 3591 of 3591 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
How pretty is that field where she is rolling?! My horses would be massively obese there... well, maybe not Bones or Lucy, but now that Lucy is likely pregnant that might change.

We live where it is hot and dry during summer. Often we do a lot of work without coming across water. Some of our horses drink every time, like Cash, but others rarely drink, like Beamer. In his old age he is more likely to drink on a hot day, but he still tends to turn his nose up at water. (Actually he is very funny and puts his whole nose under water when he drinks. It is better if you take his bridle off. He doesn’t like sucking air.)

I don’t worry about it almost ever though. I feel sorry for a horse I know is thirsty, but I can’t change it. Cash has been thirsty before and got super excited at an empty trough. That is sad. I wouldn’t ever think to worry about a horse who didn’t drink at work. This is especially true when there is green grass like @phantomhorse13 said. Grandpa always told me that if a horse was working hard he would let them grab bites of grass along the way. He said they could work longer because of the water in the grass.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,582 ·
Thanks @phantomhorse13 & @Knave. I'm sure you're right about her being ok. And yes, this has been an unusually green season, even for us. My riding pictures are getting boring because it's just her little black ears pointing down a road or trail that's emerald green. 😉 When we do our intro ride Sunday, there will be plenty of water on trail- the organizers are very good about having lots of tanks out. If she's thirsty, she'll drink!

Today I'm hiding out in the house in front of the fan. It's the hottest day yet. All the horses are tucked into the back corner of their sheds, trying to escape the flies and sun. Just a couple more days until things cool back down.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,584 ·
The look on Hugh's face pretty much sums up how we're feeling with it being 85*F and about 800 percent humidity in a house with no air conditioning 🥵🥵

Fizz and I went out this morning, just the short route to the overlook. I think the humidity was worse than the actual heat today, but I have to say she was very eager on the ride. Great walk, happy trot, we cantered a bit up the hill and down the flat section to the overlook and she did it all on a loose rein. We're now consistently trotting the gentle downhills and she balances her weight back on her hind end much more smoothly.

Those storms out there are supposed to finally break this heat wave later today, leaving temps much cooler for the rest of the week and into the weekend. That is a much better forecast for the endurance ride!!

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,586 ·
Took a tumble on our ride today. We were out doing the 3.5 mile loop we do pretty often, and nearly home when suddenly before I even knew what was happening, Fizz disappeared out from under me to the right, and launched me like a rock in a slingshot off over her left shoulder. Unlike previous big spooks, there was no question that I was coming off. Fortunately my amply padded a*s took the brunt of the impact 🤣

I stood up wondering what the heck had scared her so badly, and when I looked in the direction she was looking I saw this:

Apparently our old friend Mac the German Shepherd had some kind of surgery. Usually he barks his head off when you're well away from the house, but he was silent this time and must have darted out from under the bushes looking like an alien.

I hadn't been able to hold onto the reins when I came off because she was flying backwards at the same time she was going sideways, but fortunately she just froze in place and didn't take off running (paved road was just ahead). I had to laugh, I never ride with my wedding ring on because I'm terrified of jamming my finger and having to get the ring cut off. Wouldn't you know, today as I was tacking up I noticed I forgot to take it off but figured just this once it would be fine to ride with it. Well, as I tried to keep hold of the reins, I got part of my left hand tangled up in them as she was backing up and jammed up that finger. I managed to pry the ring off before it swelled up too bad. Lesson learned, I will NOT be caught riding with the ring on again!!

I let her graze for a second while the two of them had a bit of a staring contest, and led her on down the road to get back on.

I've dreaded the possibility of falling off on the road for as long as I've lived here, so I'm glad to have it out of the way. Luckily the roads are actually pretty soft because of so much rain, and we were not on a bad gravel patch so I really didn't get scraped up at all. Now that the adrenaline has worn off a bit, the top of my shoulders/bottom of my neck are a little sore, but I do think I managed to fall pretty well overall. And I've got a new helmet that I've been meaning to switch over to- so that will go on next time I ride!

The rest of the ride was great though. We had a gorgeous day, and had been settled into a really comfortable trot for most of the ride. After I got my bearings and led her past Mac's house, she stood nicely for me to hop back on from a big rock at the side of the hill, and the last mile home was uneventful.

I'll let her rest tomorrow, and then we're hacking over to GMHA on Saturday before the ride Sunday!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I hope your ride is excellent too!!

When I came off Queen chasing the dog, and nothing was hurt, it was a positive thing! Sometimes I think we need to remember that often we can get in a wreck and be just fine.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,589 ·
Thanks @knightrider & @Knave! I am really looking forward to the ride.

When I came off Queen chasing the dog, and nothing was hurt, it was a positive thing! Sometimes I think we need to remember that often we can get in a wreck and be just fine.
Totally agree with this. It really does feel like "getting it over with" - you know it's going to happen at some point, and having it be no big deal helps me not obsess over something happening. I don't know how many people here follow the "Sh*teventers Unite" FB page, but it's almost like desensitization for people to follow that page and see so many people posting their falls and laughing about it. I think I'll submit Fizz's encounter with Mac there and see if they find it funny too ;)

3581 - 3591 of 3591 Posts