The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just resuced Achilles and his mom. And Achilles was never introduced to water, since they had non at the place they were at. I have bottle fed water to him. And He isnt scared of the bucket or trough. I'm just worried that he wont ever get to know what drinking is.
I've never had this problem with rescuing a foal or horse.

Is there anything i can do?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Is he already weaned? If not he will catch on watching momma drink.

Is he housed w other horses? again He will learn to drink by watching. Just ensure that he is indeed taking in water. Some electrolytes in the bottle you give him will help keep him hydrated, but I don't see why he wouldn't catch on to drinking outta a bucket or trough

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
They have had to have had water or they wouldn't be alive. Foals drink at a young age and the mother has to be drinking or would be dead

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think she meant that the foal was still nursing and hadn't drank form a bucket or trough yet......the mare obviously was drinking

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is still nursing...i wont wean him til he starts drinking water..moma still wants him to nurse..i am bottle feeding him water..hes out with his mom and my pony..they drink like crazy but he doesnt care and he sees 3 other of my horses who are in the paddock beside him drinking...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
As long as you continue to bottle feed him water, he will have no reason to drink from a bucket or trough - which means you are extending the issue rather than resolving it, no matter how well intentioned you are.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reason why i am bottle feeding him water is because he isnt even going towards the bucket..he has NO interest...he needs water in order to gain weight...

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alrighty..hes not eating snow..horses can't live off of snow..
anyways, Today my dad said that he took a couple LARGE gulps of water, twice today. Which is great news. I gather my bottle feeding helped him get acustomed to the water, since he's never had any til i got him.

·
Registered
394 Posts
He wouldn't require water to gain weight....

And yes if he absolutely had too, he could live off eating snow (obviously not ideal, but it could be done)
you said he was still nursing so if he had a few chomps of snow here and there, yes that could hydrate and quench his thirst enough that he wasn't interested in drinking...so dont blow off someones suggestion as to why he may not be drinking so quickly :wink: People are only trying to help

But it sems he has started to drink so that is good news. So now you dont need to give him a bottle, as he needs to continue drinking on his own.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep k thanks. I have had many underweight horses that do need water to help gain weight but lets not get into that, i do know when to stop bottle feeding him, i stopped last week due to a bad injury to my arm. but thanks anyways:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would like to get into that...I'm all about being enlightened with new information. But as I understand the science about why animals (us included) need water is not to aid in weight gain

Water does the following.....
an ideal lubricant to transport feed.......an aid in excretion.......a regulator of body temperature......and regulate pH (acidity or alkalinity) of body fluids.

It does not encourage weight gain in the sense, that if you force more water into a horse it will gain weight. So again enlighten me.

I sense some defensiveness in your posts? Not sure why...you posed a question and people responded, but you fired back with "I knows" and I don't think "so's"...

Also sorry im confused you said you stopped bottle feeding him last week? But yet you only posted yesterday that you were still bottle feeding him?? Sorry just confused.

Again glad he is drinking on his own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.