The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I pretty much fail at drawing anything. But I am only bad at drawing horses heads, I do fail at their body. After years of progress... So I am going to find a nice headshot of a horse and then go work on that..

Reference photo:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. Thanks for the sub but I hardly think I will ever draw again. I seriously.. FAIL... Whereas you on the other hand.. Are an AMAZING artist.

-hates my artwork-

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. Fine. I will put it up the work in progress sometime or another. Perhaps today. But I have pastures to clean..

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well. Thanks for the sub but I hardly think I will ever draw again. I seriously.. FAIL... Whereas you on the other hand.. Are an AMAZING artist.

-hates my artwork-
Okay. Fine. I will put it up the work in progress sometime or another. Perhaps today. But I have pastures to clean..
I am by no means an amazing artist! There are loads of people on here better than me! You're not looking properly :wink:

I definately think you should keep posting here.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wellll I ended up doing csimkunas6's horse, Rodeo, because she has some really good head shots. This is only a quick sketch of the lines of it. Figured I should get critque now. The ear sucks, the neck is terrible, etc. It was kinda hard because Rodeo has a really flat jaw/cheekbone. Oh yes, I only use a regular mechanical pencil and regular eraser.. I am by no means serious about this and really don't want to go out and spend $100 on drawing stuff. This was the reference photo-

And my absolute fail at drawing Rodeo.. :-| Critque please. I always try to get better but I end up getting worse..! Again this is the lines of it, and I didn't have much time to work on it. I need to fix the head angle and the neck angle a bit. And the jaw line isn't in the right place, just realized I never got around to fixing it. I just drew the eye in for reference... So ah..

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
The ear looks like its set a little too far back, and the neck isn't quite right but you already mentioned that, which is the first step! I always sit there wondering where I've gone wrong but coz you can pick it up you're already one step ahead!!

I'd personally have a go tracing the outlines first just so you can get an idea of what the proportion is, and then try sketching it once you've got those proportions set out. Can't wait to see your progress :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the outline you've got so far looks great! Now, just start shading! :) That's when the image really starts to come alive. One of my art teachers told me one time to, "draw what you see, not what you think should be there." That really helped me because so often while working I try to make it perfect and without flaws, but in reality when you look at a picture, it is no where near perfect! There are weird shadows where your mind tells you there shouldn't be and funny angles. I think that you're stressing too much and it's preventing you from having fun with it. play around with it and make some really pronounced shadows in there, I think it will really help! :D

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! And Misty, I do usually do that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd say keep the head the way it is(I like it :)), make the ear a bit bigger and the neck bigger too :)
Also that bit near the end of the neck on your drawing, you've made it dip down, which isn't true to the picture.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... I think I am done. I am sick of working on this even if it only took 2 hours.. ! So I didn't bother to work on the lip- or lighten up the neck muscles- sigh. -

Attachments

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah... HA. It actually is pretty short, and falls onto the other side, but I need to draw it in on the crest!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.