The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off his front shoes for the winter, thinking it'd be safer, and now my baby is acting like hes walking on glass and lifts them up very daintly. Very sore. :(

I was suggested to put sugar and betadine on it... to toughen his hooves up. His back are fine.. its only his front.

Im very worried 'cause hes never been lame before, and I dont want him to start. and .. hes my first horse. Its heart breaking to see him in pain...

I left him for stall rest today.. anything else reccomended?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Sugar and Betadine are usually used for treatment of an abscess. It's pine tar that's going to toughen them up.

What is his weight like? When was the last time he was unshod? Why was he shod in the first place?

If he has otherwise good feet and has not been shod continuously for over a few years then I would suspect founder. He could also have abscessed from stone bruises. Talk to your farrier or vet, or both.
My advice in the interim is to see if he has pulses under the fetlock, and if he does start cold hosing and phone the vet immediately. If you catch founder quickly the prognosis can be good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
992 Posts
If he has had shoes on consistently for a few years I would say he's just ouchy. I pull my mare's shoes every winter and she gets a bit ouchy in the spring when I start riding again, until I can get the farrier out. I wouldn't put him on stall rest, though. I would leave him be and maybe put a half a gram of bute in his feed for a day or two. He should be fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
;_; Ohh I hope he dosent have that. At least I dont think...

Uhm well I bought him shod. Hes been shod ever since I've had him. I heard it could be a good idea to unshod him for the winter then re-shod him back in spring. Turns out... hes a flat footed horse and may need to have them back on.. oh and his weight? Er.. I dont remember.. exactly 1050 ? Im not sure..I have to double check.

Pine tar.. where could I get that?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my farrier said he would be a little ouchy at first.. but I had other people look at him and said they reccomended having them on. D:

I just want him to be okay ! :'(

·
Registered
992 Posts
I think he will be fine. Are you riding him alot? How long have they been off? Have you given him time to adjust to not having shoes on?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Give it some more time. Annie takes up to a week, sometimes more to adjust. The way our barn is set up it's just not feasible to have the farrier out in the winter(not to mention he's 75!!), so we just pull shoes. After about a week or two if he's still ouchy then I would put shoes back on him. I don't really ride in winter, either. It's too cold for me lol. But he should be fine.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My mare has navicular, which is noticable in colder months on frozed ground.
P.S. a flat footed horse is a good thing.... You want the whole hoof touching the ground. You dont want a concave one.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Honestly, if you JUST got his shoes taken off, sounds like just some tender tootsies. Give him a week or two, let his soles toughen up, and see how he is then. What kind of riding will you be doing with him? If it's not HARD work and his walls are sound, why have him shod again in spring? Especially if you're just going to take them off again in fall!

I see only 3 reasons to have a horse shod. Traction, Correction, and Wear. If you're riding enough to wear off more hoof than he can grow, you need shoes. If his feet were bad in the first place and needed some TLC to get his angles right and have him in working order, again, you need shoes. But if you're a light trail rider that jumps every now and again, around some barrels a couple times a summer - I personally see no need for shoes. Just my opinion though.

See how he does after a couple weeks adjustment time and take it from there. Pine tar can usually be found at any tack store, usually near the suppliments/bug wipes/hoof moisturizers. Can't go wrong just asking the person at the desk either...they'll know if they have it in stock and where to find it.

Good luck and do keep us posted on how he's doing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.