The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ariat field boots for a couple years now and since my calf has gotten bigger, the zipper un-zips while I ride. I constantly have to keep zipping them up. They fit perfectly other than being a little tight in the calf. Since I can't afford new boots right now, does anyone have any tips or tricks to keep the zippers from falling?

·
Read Only
32 Posts
Maybe go to a local shoemaker and ask about having them put on locking slides. Locking slides do not let the zipper move unless the pull tab is in the vertical position. Depending on your location it can be as cheap as $10.

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
The shoemaker, aka cobbler, can put in new zippers if yours are wearing, or locking slides as was also mentioned...
They can also put in a elastic gusset to give you that tiny bit of extra room you may need to wear these boots a bit longer.
Far less money to have a cobbler do the same as a tack shop...just ask around and see what you can find and do for a successful fix.
🐴 ...

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
I'll second the elastic gusset. I've had them added to two pairs. That and locking slides are a great way to keeping a comfortable pair going for years to come for a reasonable price. I had my first pair done at the shoe hospital. Second pair by the saddle shop. Both did great work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the tops are only a little tight, a bootmaker could fairly easily stretch them. The elastic gusset is still a good idea but IMO they'll be most comfortable if you get them fitting correctly first. Locking zippers are a good idea as well but if the boot is too tight in the calf, eventually they'll start to tear loose from the leather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts