The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no intentions of starting my colt myself. He was going to a gal who starts colts this summer, then to my favorite trainer/coach/ judge in the spring for her finesse.
Manny is just so easy peasy, lemon squeezy, I backed him instead, haven't done this in 15 years. Saved $4000 in training. Now just working on getting him consistent in all 3 gaits. Never backed a horse this calm, absolutely no spook, but he is on the lazy side...Iike Otis lol. Same breeding a few generations younger, same ranch. Pays off staying with what works for me. I think what makes him easy to train, is me keeping Otis's mannerisms in mind and applying that to Manny, they respond the same way. Once they know something through training, and you stay honest & don't get sloppy they know it BUT will do passive aggressive stuff to get out of work. Just call them on it confidentiality not aggressively, they are like, okay, just testing your tolerance, test failed, I will get back to work. Now just hoping we have a late freeze & snow fall, I am so enjoying riding this horse!
Horse Working animal Horse tack Horse supplies Liver
Gesture Working animal Horse Terrestrial animal Shadow

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
Manny is handsome and a pretty special young man🥰.

Geez I can’t believe he is old enough to ride - wasn’t he just born last week?🤠🤠

Keep him home and you take him thru his training, you’ve done this enough and been showing long enough that you know what to do.

I am not fond of trainers, no matter how ethical they may seem. Manny is far too precious and exceptional to be mentally scarred, even for a month somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Geez I can’t believe he is old enough to ride - wasn’t he just born last week?🤠🤠

Keep him home and you take him thru his training, you’ve done this enough and been showing long enough that you know what to do.

I am not fond of trainers, no matter how ethical they may seem. Manny is far too precious and exceptional to be mentally scarred, even for a month somewhere else.
He is handsome. i took a horse to the trainers, and paid good money, and they almost killed him. If you can do your own training.

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

He is going to the trainer's show barn in the spring. She is pretty awesome, and puts a very soft feel on a horse. I have known her & watched her judge the biggest breed shows in North America. She won't scar him, in fact, at her clinics, I have her ride my horses & show me suppling exercises. She doesn't start horses, she puts the polish on them. So I had to have him started before I could send him to her. I wish I lived I closer to her, she would be my trainer & coach. The $4000 I saved was just for a decent trainer who I ride with, to start him. I am having her come out and help me with his right lead, I've run into situation were I want help. She is a friend of mine and awesome horseperson, I only associate with the best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts