The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when we got home from work, there was a SmartPak box sitting on our stoop. When I saw it, I automatically assumed it was Nelson's monthly smartpak suppliments.

We unloaded the car with our groceries and after we got established, I grabbed the smartpak box and said to Hubby "I'll just put this in the car since I'm going to the barn tomorrow" and I grab the box out of Hubby's arms and start walking to the car.

I was looking down at the box as I was walking and noticed that it was my Husbands name on the shipping paper attached to the box, and not mine. I turned to him and asked what the heck? And he said to bring it to him so he could see what it was.

As I headed back to him, I noticed a smirk was on his face, and I instantly knew what it was. I stopped and ripped the package open to see if my thoughts were true...and voila:

When I pulled it out of the box, I started screaming and was jumping up and down in my front lawn - lol.

Poor Hubby though, he was trying to keep it a secret until Saturday. He even left work through out the day trying to get home when the package was delivered with no luck.

LOVE IT! But unfortunately, it is a smidge too small. They sent a size 1 when it was supposed to be a size 2, so we have to send this one back to get the right one.

I'm still extactic though! :D:D:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just a note here.. How tight is it? Just a little? It WILL form to your head some. I got the same size as my sister because hers fit me and when i got it it was a little snug almost a little uncomfortable after a ride. But after a few rides it fits perfectly now, if I had gotten a bigger size like i almost did, it would be too big and i wouldn't be able to take it back since i would have worn it a few times until i figured out it was too big. Just something to think about!! But then again you can always add more padding if next size gets a little too big.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's very tight when I put it on my head - like headache causing tight. My Coach has a size 2 Charles Owen J3 Skull Cap and hers is almost 3 years old and it fit me perfectly.

Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
you're going to love the Skull Cap. CO's are THE.BEST.

Though... shouldn't be headache causing tight.... At least, that's what the helmet fitter told me.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, I cannot even wear this one on my head, and I am already loving it. My Hubby is contacting SmartPak tomorrow to let them know of the error.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hope my husband buys me a CO helmet for my birthday (July)! I love them. He told me if I get one that he gets a new cricket bat for his birthday, lol.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Lucky!!!! I need a skull cap in the near future... I think Im probably getting a CO!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
cool i have one like that! charles owen too, i love to silks that come on them.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL guys, it's funny because I wanted one for quite a while, but we were never able to buy "Extras" at the time because Hubby lost his very good job due to the economy, and I did not have my Green Card so I couldn't work.

Now that we are back on our feet and are both working full time, I wanted one for xmas, very much so.

So I cut a picture of a Charles Owen Skull Cap, and taped it on the wall behind the toilet, so Hubby would have to look at it every time he had to go to the loo. I was hoping one would of been under the xmas tree, but alas, there was not.

That's ok - because it's here for my Bday! I have to send this one back today though, I called SmartPak and informed them that I need a size 7 and they told me to get it in the mail as soon as possible. So that's what I have to do now - heading to the post office to get it sent back, so I can get the right size!

HEE HEE! I am still extactic!

·
Registered
852 Posts
so this may be a dumb question but why the difference btwn a regular helmet and a xctry helmet?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, not a dumb question. I didn't really realize it until it was explained to me by the Clinitian I rode with last Saturday.

Regular hemets have the Bill or the Visor, where Skull Caps do not. The reason being, is that it is a safety reason, which is why Eventers have their own line of helmet.

So lets say a rider is wearing a regular helmet with a "Bill" or "Visor". When and if that Eventer were to come off their horse while out on course, landing face first into an obsticle or the ground or what-have-you...the "Bill" or "Visor" will end up making contact with the object first, causing the riders neck to crane back which can lead to spinal damage.

So with an Eventing Helmet, if the rider were to come off, there will be no "Bill" or "Visor" to make contact first.

Also, without the "Bill" or "Visor" the rider has a much bigger line of vision so that they can see their next fence, and their surroundings far better, than one could with a regular helmet.

So that is why you see many "Hard Core" Eventers while out on course, wearing a Skull Cap due to the safety reason.

·
Registered
852 Posts
thanks for the explanation MIEventer. when i start competing more i'll def get one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.