The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally spent 5 hours with my farrier and helped shoe two of my horses and did two back feet totally by myself, my other horse, I did all the nailing, and shaping of the shoes, and clinches, my farrier helped out a lot though. He pulled the old shoes, I already know how to do that, prep the hoof, pretty straightforward, then showed me where to bang the shoe shape it, that's a little more difficult. Many trips from the hoof to the anvil. Actually it's the most difficult! The nailing and the clinching are the easiest part. I think a few more times under his guidance and I might be able to shoe my horses myself. Only one tiny slip and a small blood blister on my thumb.
Grass Snout Fawn

Horse Grass Human leg Leg Calf

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done! You gotta have a patient horse when you're learning...
Yes! They're my horses, the ones that my farrier calls a pleasure to work with. Because my farrier always works without a hoof stand, I was obliged to as well. He was showing me how to stand backwards and perpendicular to the horse to do the outside clinches, then he laughs. He said you would only get away with that standing right underneath his belly with your horse. Don't try that on any others. But again, the whole purpose with him teaching me, is to do my own horses when he retires in a few years. He said I don't need to do all four at once, I could do the two fronts, wait a day and then do to the two backs to break up the work. I need to buy a few things, I have the anvil, he said it's a good one, I need a bench and vise stand for it, the hammer ,the clinching block and the clinchers, I have all the rest. He gave me his old farrier apron, but it's a bit baggy I think I'll get a new one.

·
Registered
14,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done!

And I am having serious short-toe-envy here :sad:
Those toes are rolled, to allow Indy easier break over as he has fused bone spavin. Lots of banging on the anvil to roll it. Once the toe is set, and I tack on the side nails, it's pretty easy shortening up the toe. Of course the horse has a balanced trim to begin with, the shoes are just on there to protect his hoof from the ground underneath. However, they have to accommodate my balanced trim.

Reactions: SwissMiss
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.