The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on the 31st of January i'm going to my first (not pony club) show :) Im so excited but im not sure what I should be doing with my mare...

She's a Palomino there's a picture of her on this link, http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-got-new-mare-42169/page2/

I have no Idea what I should do with her mane.. I could hog it off and just braid her forelock and tail, or should I let her mane grow out a little bit more and flop over and do something with it was well as Abbi's forelock and tail?

Any other tips on making her look BEAUTIFUL hehe.

Also whats the go with saddle cloths or numnah, what colour etc.

So any tips would be great, about braiding or grooming or hoofs. Even tack.. thanks guys :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
i'd brade it!! or just get a main tammer on befor the show to get it to lie witch ever side you want it on!!:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hacking

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'd braid her mane, it's probably not required but it's always good practice! I'd go with a fairly neutral colour for your saddle pad, even just black or white would be nice with her colouring.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Braid it (mane, tail, forelock)!
For saddle pads, if you don't have a shaped pad or a half pad, use a regular white one. If you have a half pad, use that by itself. Orrr if you have a shaped pad, you could use that as well.
After you bathe her, cover her up completely.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theses are the classes im thinking of entering...
105 Led Local Galloway Hack – MARE
133 Novice ridden Galloway
134 Open ridden lightweight Galloway 14h ne 15h
136 Childs Galloway ridden by rider under 17yrs
140 Show Hunter Galloway 14.2h ne 15h
Ring 2
223 Childs Galloway ridden by rider under 17yrs
227 Show Hunter Galloway 14.2h ne 15h
Ring 3
313 Local rider 13yrs & under 15yrs

314 Girl rider 13yrs & under 15yrs
Ring 6
653 Led Palomino Female
660 Ridden Palomino/ Buckskin 14hh & over
661 Youth Rider (under 18 yrs, Palomino/Buckskin)
Ring 8
808 Pony Club Mount 13yrs & under 15 years
826 Bareback Pony Club Rider 11yrs & under 17yrs

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
umm... whats a half pad?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like the sound of all the classes you are doing but watch you don't do too many, or else you'll end up with a tired, cranky horse :)

And a tip - don't get hoof black on your joddies... I speak from experience :p

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.. thanks, do you think thats too many? I changed my mind about the led one... im not going to do it. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been watching braiding videos on youtube and i think im going to do button braids for her mane. But I was looking at the pinwheel for their tails and what is that for? Can you do it on a horses tail for a hack class etc?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Do button braids. They are simple and almost everyone has them.
I say do at least 1 led class if you can. Most of the leds are before the riding classes and I think they let horses adjust to the show a little bit before they are ridden.
Also, with that many classes make sure they don't clash. In the hunter classes, you will be asked to do a hand gallop, is Abbi capable of that?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i will do a led class, umm hand gallop.. she will be :) we also need to work on our jumping skills, but i doubt if we'll get picked for a workout and if, and thats a very big IF we get picked to do the workout, i'll just say that if the jumps to high that we aren't capable of that yet. If they get the Sh**s then thats their problem :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok..... I show every weekend so listen.....
white fitted pad
NO BRAIDS UNLESS PROFESSIONAL! Judges hate that!
Perfectly Clean horse and clear paintes hooves.

For you:
If you have tall boots:
Breeches
TallBoots
Showshirt with collar
Show Jacket

If paddock boots:
Jodpurs
Garter/Knee Straps
Boot Straps/Clips
Paddock Boots
Showshirt with collar
Show jacket

For All:
GLoves
Crop
spurs

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ok..... I show every weekend so listen.....
white fitted pad
NO BRAIDS UNLESS PROFESSIONAL! Judges hate that!
Perfectly Clean horse and clear paintes hooves.

For you:
If you have tall boots:
Breeches
TallBoots
Showshirt with collar
Show Jacket

If paddock boots:
Jodpurs
Garter/Knee Straps
Boot Straps/Clips
Paddock Boots
Showshirt with collar
Show jacket

For All:
GLoves
Crop
spurs
I have to disagree with you on this. There are many people who can do decent braids who are definitely not professional. I'm not a professional, but I can definitely turn out a show-ready horse. You don't need to be a professional to braid a horse- I do it all the time. Are they absolutely perfect? No, but they look good, and I'm improving each time I do it.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
^^ i agree with you ! you also arent going to get better unless you practice ! unless you go to a really big show i wouldnt worry about not having 'perfect' braids

·
Registered
822 Posts
^^ i agree with you ! you also arent going to get better unless you practice ! unless you go to a really big show i wouldnt worry about not having 'perfect' braids
Exactly! Judges are not going to dislike you if you do your own horse. Heck, if you've been practicing enough, chances are they won't be able to tell the difference! It's a good skill to learn, anyway, in case you need to do it yourself for some reason, even if you usually hire a professional.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
and professionals can get really pricey ! i think its fun to be able to do everything yourself, its nice to not have to rely on people

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the help guys, Im planing on doing the braids the night before so i'll have all night to get them perfect hehe :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
after youve done the braids spray a bunch of hair spray all over them so they stay nice ! i do mine the night before too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts