The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my dream and goal to compete at the Quarter horse Congress or World or both. I see girls younger than me who have already won national championships, while I'm struggling to get my horse in a local AQHA show, and I'm thinking "I want to do that; why can't I do that?" I know I have to start somewhere, that I couldn't just go out now and expect to win something big. I haven't learned everything I need to know, and I don't have the horse for it. I've accepted the fact that my current horse will probably not be able to take me to anything more than the shows around here, and that's fine. We'll probably branch out into something other than hunt seat and do pleasure or horsemanship or something, maybe hunters. He should make a nice all-arounder, and I'm already have a lot of fun with him and things should keep improving. But in the future, hopefully sometime in my twenties (I'm 19 now) I want to own a young HUS horse. One bred for it, with the height, the looks, and the talent, and I want to take it to big shows. It hasn't taken me long to figure out that I want this to be my future with horses; riding and showing hunt seaters, and maybe some all-around. For any of you who have competed in a large event, whether QH or something else, how'd you get there? I'm currently with a trainer who I really like and is going to get me to my first AQHA show. Should I just stick with this path and see where it leads me? And I know owning a big Appendix HUS horse is going to be harder than owning one that isn't ridden or shown as heavily. What changes will I have to make to move out of small shows and into the big-time?
I guess what I'm asking if anyone has been through something similar or has any advice, leave it here :)

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
The two biggest things are going to be $$$ and a trainer. Money, obviously, to buy what you need, whether it be show outfits, saddles, shipping, entry fees, a horse, etc. Your budget would have to be quiet expansive. Then you'll need a trainer to actually get you, and the horses, skills there. They'll know the ropes on how to go about getting you to that level of showing.

Oh did I mention money? :wink:
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two biggest things are going to be $$$ and a trainer. Money, obviously, to buy what you need, whether it be show outfits, saddles, shipping, entry fees, a horse, etc. Your budget would have to be quiet expansive. Then you'll need a trainer to actually get you, and the horses, skills there. They'll know the ropes on how to go about getting you to that level of showing.

Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yes, money haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yes, money haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably never have the money those top trainers do but I should have enough to get me somewhere.
Since I won't be showing western at a high level (at least at first) that cuts out a saddle and show outfit cost. From just what I've seen comparing hunt seat attire and western at my level, hunt seat route is cheaper. I already have everything I need anyway. I'd be lacking a horse and extra lessons/practice. Plus show fees.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously, I know you have to have money to get started, but it's not about money for me. I'll do what I can, with what I have.
If I want something bad enough I'll usually find a way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Knowing the right people helps. Find out who all those winners ride for and then take lessons from that trainer. Sometimes trainers let you ride/compete with one of their own horses if they see talent in you.

When I was a kid back in the 80s, my girlfriend wrote a fan letter to Dr. Reiner Klimke - he had just won Olympic gold in Dressage. Not only did he write back but invited her out to his farm to ride Ahlerich!

Success is the intersection of preparation & opportunity. Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Always be prepared. Then put yourself out there - meet the right people and you will be unstoppable.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Unfortunately, money is a winner in the horse world - it's not like say, athletics, where if you can run, you can run, you can train anywhere etc. With horses you need a horse to take you all the way - very far and few between, and normally cost top buck. Then, as already said, it's the trainers, entry fees, trailering around the country, etc. etc.

There is the working student route - I know a girl from college who has gone to work for an international showjumper local to us, and not only does she fly around the world with him and his horses, she gets to ride some of the best horses in the country, and compete his youngsters before they're at "his level". That being said, it's not all roses - she got lucky, but she still has to work her butt off, and many working students get treated like the muck they spend all day shovelling.

I go to an agricultural university, and unfortunately, there's a reason that the people who go out and compete at weekends all over the country, also have money, and a family who are willing to drop everything to drive the lorry for them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As others have said... It's not just about having a horse, it is about having the RIGHT horse, and not just a trainer, but the RIGHT trainer. Has your trainer taken other people to the level you want to compete? If you are with a trainer that has experience taking people to that level they should be able to advise you on what the next steps are for you to get there. If you are not with that level of trainer they most likely will not know... So even if you like your trainer, it may not be the best person for you to be with to achieve your goals.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Has any one mentioned money yet? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.