The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my (roughly 16 y/o) gelding pees on his stomach everytime he goes? I've never seen him do what the other males do, as they drop their male parts down to urinate and he has never that I've seen. I've had him since Halloween of 2020 and I go out everyday. I asked the vet and he just dismissed it as an 'old horse thing' but I disagree. Should I try to clean his sheath? I really don't know what to do or if it's a bad thing overall. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would recommend seeing a different vet - penile issues in geldings are a serious thing. If he isn't dropping his penis down in order to urinate, there is likely something going on. Maybe he has pain, maybe he needs a thorough sheath cleaning...You won't know until you either get in there yourself (with an experienced person if you don't have experience) or with a vet that actually wants to do their job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend seeing a different vet - penile issues in geldings are a serious thing. If he isn't dropping his penis down in order to urinate, there is likely something going on. Maybe he has pain, maybe he needs a thorough sheath cleaning...You won't know until you either get in there yourself (with an experienced person if you don't have experience) or with a vet that actually wants to do their job.
Thank you! I'll ask my trainer (she's had gelding almost her whole life and definitely knows what she's doing) and see if she can show me how to clean him to start with, to see if that solves the problem. If that doesn't work I'll ask another vet or ask my vet again more seriously. He is my first horse and I want him to be as healthy and happy as possible.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
One of my boys won't drop in the winter to pee (Can't say that I blame him haha) he'll just drop the BARE minimum past his sheath, do his business, and then suck it right back it :LOL:

He is also VERY prone to a dirty sheath and beans because he is disgusting and needs to be cleaned pretty much every month all year long or he'll get so much build up. I wonder if that is what's going on with your guy? But I agree with the others to find another vet because dismissing something like that is not good practice. See if you can have the vet out to do a thorough cleaning where they sedate because sedation usually causes them to completely drop their male parts down to be cleaned completely, I usually do that once a year for both of my boys as it makes my job the rest of the time that much easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey everyone! Thank you all for your replies, I just recently had to vet clean his sheath. He said it had a pretty bad infection making it to painful to drop his penis to pee. He had a lot of smegma and a bean as well. He still doesn't drop it down yet but the vet said since he's been doing it for so long that way it will take a while for him to drop it down, because he's afraid it will hurt. I gave him a bath and got almost all of the dried pee off of his stomach and he seems so much happier and more energetic, I'm so glad the vet took care of it. Thank you all again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts